• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why do I need to clear CMOS after flashing bios?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hawkeye_wx

An hour ago I flashed my NF7-S bios to the latest version, but I just realized I forgot to reset the CMOS. My system, with the new bios, is running fine. Do I still need to clear the CMOS?

I've flashed the bios a few times, with different boards obviously, over the past several years and I've never cleared the CMOS afterwards. I've never ran into any problems.

Update: I did just clear the CMOS just to make sure I do everything right.

Last edited:
usually resetting to default settings is all i ever do after a bios flash then i reset my timings for ram and such

i never reset it and i dont see why we would want to put it back to defualt? I have already made the changes i like and a new bios normally juust fixes bugs or gives you more options so tell me why we need to put bios back to defualt?

NoxioN said:
i never reset it and i dont see why we would want to put it back to defualt? I have already made the changes i like and a new bios normally juust fixes bugs or gives you more options so tell me why we need to put bios back to defualt?

A Lot depends on how you're flashing your BIOS, If you're using the ABIT FlashMenu-AwardBIOS Utility from windows, then more than likely the ".exe File" that you are flashing with has all the "Switch" parameters Pre-Programmed into it so that your CMOS will reset Automatically once you restart from WinBlows (heh) However, if you're Flashing using the "pure DOS" (which most do) mode, then you may or may not, be using these given switches (A:\>awdflash nf7d14.exe /py /sn /cd /cp /cc /cks /R ) if you "are" using these switches then you're telling your CMOS to Auto "clear/reset" if you are "Not" using the switches then you are telling your CMOS/BIOS that you are going to change these parameters "manually" and not to make any changes other than adding some "New/Updated" Information to the BIOS! You see? :eek:
Now as to your question as to will the BIOS function properly without resetting after an update? Sure it will... because you may have inadvertently used the switches and not even known it, and the only other reason "why" they ask/tell you to reset you BIOS/CMOS after updating it, is so that all the "NEW" information can effectively overwrite the "OLD" information and correct any "bugs" you see? ;)

Now this is pretty much how I have come to understand this function as to why... SO I hope that it helps clear a few of these Minor question up for you, I know it did myself :D

Good luck!

DpGravy

Abit says to do it so I do just to be safe. It only takes an extra minute anyway.

I even reset the BIOS before and after I flash. The DR-DOS flash version I used has all the switches built in anyway so you might not need to reset.

Back