• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The New King

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Footba_SWAT5420

i have been gone from the entire overclocking comunity for a few months now (bc i didnt have any money :)) my question is that if i was to buy a new mobo today, which would be the best overclocker. is the 8rga+ still one fo the best ones out there?

It would have to be the Abit NF7-(S) because it gives you almost all of the voltage you could ever want and all of the fsb you could want (up to 300) and the S version has soundstorm and firewire with I think some other goodies including serial ata raid.

there's a few boards competing for the top OCer status. the Abit NF7-S is the top contender, the Asus A7N8X is very close to the NF7 but falls short on CPU voltage (1.85 limit), the Epox 8RDA3 has all the features it needs but i haven't heard much about it (good or bad). Gigabyte had a Nforce2 board now too but it's still pretty new so there's not much real world testing done yet that i know of.

if i were to buy one today it would be the NF7-S revision 2 (the revision 1/1.1/1.2 had a major problem with bios corruption, best to stay away from those if possible).

on the other hand, if your not shooting for a max overclock then i would look into the Asus A7N8X Delux. it has more bells & whistles then any other Nforce2 board currently on the market.

the A7N8X isn't even close, epox 8rda, 8rga, 8rda3+ are close to the nf7-s, only the 8rda may not have a rev.2 yet and therefore doesn't officially support 200fsb/400ddr

do you guys have an estimate when itll come out the v2? im sure you guys all saw the thread about that guy that had one. will it cost a lot more then the current one?

I would say with very little hesitation the the abit nf7-s v2.0 is by far the most fully featured overclockable board on the amd market as we speak :D

treepop said:
I would say with very little hesitation the the abit nf7-s v2.0 is by far the most fully featured overclockable board on the amd market as we speak :D

True that!

but i need to know what advantages it has over the curretn 8rda+. is it worth getting all those features? its around 30 dollars more in newegg!

well it has an a1(c1) stepping on the northbrige....which alows for greater overclocks....there have been 8rda+'s with c1 stepping but there is no gauruntee with the nf7-s, nf7 rev 2.0 it is a garunte....as for price....you wanna save some cash just get the nf7 the soundstrom is great but if you don't have anything more then headphones or a 2.1 setup...there really is no nead to go -s cept that it has sata raid...but from what I hear it is very unstable...so what I would do if I where you is go the nf7 non s for now and get a promise card and /or soundcard as you need them.....as for me I thought that the onboard audiology2 equivallent was very worth the extra $30 along with the sata raid which I am sure will soon be fixed with better drivers...and by the way this is not abit's fault...but abit is worken hard to pin point and fix the issue.....as for gaurunteed stepping go excaliberpc.com...they are legit :D

i used to have an Audigy MP3, to me the soundstorm is better even with crappy $30 speakers (more noticable with my Audio 90 headphones though). the EAX performance is much better with the soundstorm audio too, ironic isn't it? lol

the soundstorm is truely amazing.....I love this thing...just make sure you allow all of your apps to utalize the power it has...ie make sure you take settings off of generic sound and set it to nforce:D

Back