• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much could i overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

*{Andy}*

I was wondering how far could I overclock a P4 1.60A GHZ with a spark 7 heatsink? i have it overclocked to 1.8 with the stock heatsink. but this isnt far enough.

There are so many factors we would need to know and even then it can't be exact so first off what is the stepping B0 or C1? and then what is your room temp and what mobo are you using?

how much over stock could an overclocker clock if an overclocker could clock over stock?

an overclocker could clock over stock as much as an overclocker could clock if an overclocker could clock over stock.

modenaf1 said:
how much over stock could an overclocker clock if an overclocker could clock over stock?

an overclocker could clock over stock as much as an overclocker could clock if an overclocker could clock over stock.

Damn tongue twister...

Ummmm....yeah...what pip said. Too many factors involved. Your room/ambient temp plays a big part in how well your CPU and system will be cooled. I'm not familiar with the Spark7, so I can't help you much there. However, if the base doesn't feel very flat lapping it will yield you some better cooling results.

What's lapping? Well, it's the process of sanding the base of your heatsink to make it flatter. if you do a forum search, you can find numerous threads about lapping.

My 1.6A did 2.24 on a small, skived fin thermaltake 1U heatsink. Now it's doing 2.27 on water. It goes higher, but my room gets too warm after a while, so I leave it at 2.27 where I know it's stable up to a room temp of 95F.

Just try to maximize your potential. Get good thermal compound, like Arctic Silver Ceramique, and have proper case cooling. A good heatsink will do nothing if the heat isn't removed from the case.

My p4 1.6a runs at 2.5ghz using the stock heatsink and cooler with ASIII. The temp at boot is about 36c and it averages about 38-43c under normal use. With your cooling fan/heatsink, you should be able to do better. But every CPU is unique, so I guess you never know. Good luck.

Back