• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is the NF7-S right for me?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ge|atinousFury

Hey everyone, I've got a small question:

I would like to know if the NF7-S is a smart choice for my setup. My current rig is in my signature, but I will be upgrading the RAM to 1Gb Mushkin PC3200 Black Level II in 2 weeks. Also, I plan on buying a Prometia Mach II when it comes out later this Summer. I plan on overclocking tremendously, and I'd like to know if this is my board. If not, which one is.....I've looked at the Epox 8rda3+, but it's a brand new board, whereas the NF7-S has rev 2.0 out now. Any suggestions or comments? I REALLY value the advice given in this forum, so come hither with the posts.....

the board will definetly help your overclock with that chip. I have the same board and was able to get 2.51ghz out of the chip. if you didnt already know this the board also unlocks the multiplyers without having to connect the bridges. I never used the epox myself but ive heard great things about it as well. just be sure to 1.4 bios becuase that is currently the best available. Im guessing you should see another 180mhz or more with this board with decent cooling.

Good deal. I'll very likely be ordering the NF7-S tomorrow then. Should I order the BIOS survival kit from excaliberpc or has the BIOS issue been solved yet?

depends, how safe do you feel about flashing bios? just make sure to flash at stock speed and you should never have a problem. I never seen this before but dont think you will ever need it but then again anything can go wrong when overclocking.

I dont know what bios issue you are referring to.

the reason i chose the NF7 or the Epox was because the bios on the Abit has a lot more options for upping the voltages etc. than does the Epox. i had the 1.2 and now the 2.0 both are great boards.

NoxioN said:

I dont know what bios issue you are referring to.

The BIOS issue that caused excaliberpc to start selling BIOS survival kits.

I feel safe flashing the BIOS on a motherboard, but I guess I'll order the extra BIOS chip just for peace of mind in case something actually does go wrong. It's good to hear that the BIOS seems pretty stable, though.

Ge|atinousFury said:
Good deal. I'll very likely be ordering the NF7-S tomorrow then. Should I order the BIOS survival kit from excaliberpc or has the BIOS issue been solved yet?

In a word, yes.

If the BIOS got corrupted, how much is it worth to be able to agressively try out agressive BIOS settings and not worry about having to wait a week for your replacment CMOS before you can use the computer again.

I don't know if the Nforce2 bios corruption issue got truely fixed with v1.4. I haven't tried turning off the power during a bios save just to find out :p

Back