• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Burnt RAM slot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mbekkali

Registered
RAM slot

I have burnt one metalic tooth of my RAM slot (it burnt and fell off), and now even if I leave it empty and put a healthy stick into another slot, I cannot post because my mobo beeps every 3 seconds, as if something is not properly plugged (min configuration, cleared CMOS, CPU fan is spinning) . Am I correct in the diagnosis of the problem and what could be the solution. My mobo is L7VMM by ECS if that matters. Reiterating, would mobo produce beeps if a malfunctionous ram slot is left empty. (Also, the red indicator on the mobo is on and I cannot find what it is for)

Last edited:
hmmm...it could be. It also might be something else. Either way, I'm thinking your screwed.

But, I might very well be wrong.

Only time I ever had the beeping every few seconds problem, it was a problem with one of the ram slots. I could get the system to post as long as I didn't put any ram in that slot.

Not sure how to go about fixing it in your case though :(. I'm sure someone on here will have an idea or two. :)

Thanks for your input. I would try to spend more time figuring out the solution to my problem over the next weekend.

The same thing happened to me when swapping memory in and out of an old Asus A7V. Saw the smoke an in a panic hit the kill switch on my power bar. Pulled the memory stick out of Dimm 1, it was blackened on the one lead but worked ok in another board. After disconnecting the power I carefully removed the small piece of metal which had come away from the side of the memory slot. I was lucky it had not shorted to any other of the contacts and was not hard to remove just a bit tricky to get a small set of side cutters close enough to remove the burned contact. I replaced all the memory back into Dimm 2 & 3 crossed my fingers and hit the power switch. All was well again, it still runs fine except now I have 2 Dimm slots instead of 3. Hope that it works out as well for you.

Just my thoughts: Your pins on the connector may be shorting out. If this is the case, your computer detects the short as an improperly seated stick of RAM, and it will always detect an improper seating until you somehow clean up the slot.

RAM slots are small, and cleaning it out may be nearly impossible. Make sure it is clear from debris. Try taking the mobo out of the case, turning it upside down, and gently use a toothpick to remove anything (a flake of the gold lead for instance) that may be trapped inside. You might also use compressed air on the slot also...that might be easier than taking the whole mobo out of the chassis.

Best luck!

Back