• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Serilell help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SenorBeef

I have 2 abit serilell p-ata to s-ata converters.

Originally, I planned to use my IBM 75 GXP drives on these cables for raid 0, but they wouldn't work with them. I tried booting my WD800JB on them, and they worked, so I had 2 options: buy 2 new converters ($50) or get a new WD800JB for a faster/bigger setup ($80).

Well, the choice was obvious.

So I got the new drive, and hooked it up to regular IDE to make sure it works. It does. I hooked them both up with the serilell adapters. Booted. Drive not found - for both.

Double checked physical connections. Drives not found again.

Fiddled with the connections 2 or 3 times, finally got ONE drive to recognize. Fiddled with the other drive's cables (leaving the working drive's cables alone) and got another drive not found on both channels.

Since then, I've been fiddling with the physical connections, and have been able to get one to work at a time, but not both at once. Actually, I switched the controllers around a bit, and it's possible that the one that occasionally works is always on a certain converter. I think this may be the case but I wasn't tracking that specifically so I'm not sure.

Anyway, since I think they're the same adapters, I'm not sure that's it. I have tried switching which drive was on which MB port, and I've had succesful detections on both S-ATA ports on the motherboard, so that's not the issue.

Can anyone give me any tips at all as to what you did to get the damn things to work? These things have been way more trouble than they should've been. Maybe someone has found out some way to get them physically hooked up in such a way as to increase the chance of detection.. maybe the connections need to be loose or something.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

Weird, as you can see my IBM has no problem the the SATA.

Did you put both HD as masters like it says on the sheet of paper that came with the motherboard ?

Where did you get a second Abit adapter ?

Yes, I set up the IBMs properly. In fact, I used just about every possible jumper combination to try it, as well as tweaking the physical connections 50 times. I made tons of effort trying to get the damn things to work.

I got the second adapter at excaliberpc.com.

Oh, I found out from another forum that if you remove the little floppy power connector from the adapter during boot, the drive will spin up and power up.

With one of my converters, when I plug the power back in, the drive stays spinning, gets detected, and works. However, with the other, the drive powers back down immeadiately, and I can't get anything useful out of that converter.

Umm I'm not sure what the "Deal" is with the Serilell converters/ribbons that Abit sends with their boards but I know that every one that I have received in the MB Box has NEVER worked properly... So, I just picked up the "HighPoint" converters/ribbon cables and WAHLAH!! All my troubles have gone away, as I can now run my four WD80JB's in SATA mode,(in both computers) with no problems what so ever...

Just a thought :D

DpGravy

Back