• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

central air...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

koontz946

has anyone thought of hooking up ducting to a central air vent and bringing it to an intake fan? granted the thermostat would need to be at approximately the same temperature as the cpu would be, but still, maybe if you set the temperature for the central air low enough, it could work... im sure someone could figure out how to do it....

it has been thought of many times. Problem is that central air doesn't run 24/7, it cycles on and off. Your temps are going to flucuate a lot, so it will be hard to determine a stable oc.

thats what i was thinking... maybe then having an air conditioner that runs solely for the purpose of cooling a cpu? or would the problem there be $$?

Well some air conditioners are expensive, but if you can find one for a good price, it might be worth giving it a shot. I saw a few threads a while ago where people were ducting air conditioners to their heatsink's fan and were getting very nice results.

The formula to use for converting from C to farenheit is

C * (9/5) + 32 = F

So 31 C is,

31 * (9/5) + 32 = 87,8 F = ~ 88 F

Just google for it and you'll find a ton of converters.. but you better get used to the centigrade system because that's what is used in the computer world.. ;)

The question here is why would anyone really do this? If you're very serious, look in to a Vapopchill, you'll get better temps and you won't look so insane.

Secondly, air conditioners carry an amount of humidity that may be unacceptable (especially those window units.) Water(condensation) + Electricity and a Sweet Mobo = Bad..

I'm using a 5200 BTU AC to cool my system innards and, let me tell you, it works great! Even at 2.3 volts the temps never go above 30 degrees Celsius for my Athlon XP 2400+ at 2.7GHz!

You must put the AC on '9' and 'Medium' or 'High' cooling. This way the AC turns on for 2 minutes and then goes off for 2 minutes.

As a result no condensation builds up. I put a towel in the back of the AC to soak up the water the AC drips out (which is normal).:drool:

thats what i was thinking... its more consistant than central air, but since its only for a comp, you dont need it on ALL the time, and its only when its on for a while does the moisture really become an issue... plus, air conditioners are designed to drip the humidity out the back (thus the towel), right?

Air conditioners de-humidify the air being blown out (thus the reason you feel really sticky when getting out of your airconditioned car, the hot/wet air sticks to your dehumidified, cool skin). Condensation isn't an issue with an A/C unit. Having one mounted to the side of your case is really the issue. :p

-Frank

Back