• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Low FSB numbers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orange400

I can't really push my FSB over 140 Mhz. One time on a miracle I was able to pull off 165, but it crashed 5 minutes later. Right now I'm running 15x131 = ~2100, but I have a huge feeling I can pull off something more.

I'm not using any PCI cards right now believe it or not, just an AGP card. Audio and ethernet is on-board for now. I have an older ram stick, its 266 256MB ram ... do you think if I got new ram I could make the fsb go faster? My ram does not like the extra voltage I've tried adding to it either.

I'm running an unclocked 2200 Athlon XP CPU, that old ram, a GeForce2 clone, and besides three hard drives, a cd burner, dual floppies, and a power supply, that's it. I am running a KT4V mobo. Inexpensive, but recent. You know all about it.

Any suggesstions on making my FSB go faster?

Hey!

Get yourself some faster RAM. That should get you AT LEAST up to 166 FSB but not any further than 180 FSB on that board... there is no 1/6 divider so you will be stressing your graphics card and drives if you go beyond that.

What's a 1/6 divider?

I should get some ram huh? How bout a 400 set? Would that kick it up (a lot :))?

That's what I thought. This is some wussy-*** RAM I have anyways. I would totally benefit from a huge 1GB bankload. I'm talking a lot of money here what am I sayin I'm broke :rolleyes: oh well. I'm gonna get a job this summer and I'll be gettin a bunch of computer stuff.

I do wave editing where I'm usually dealing with about 200MB of files at once. It runs alright now, but sometimes the cache kicks in and cache sucks so bad ...

Oh another thing, I got an old 10 GB hard drive, would that do anything if its plugged in?

- edit -

It's one of the two slave drives that's going to be devoted to Linux, but that's not happenin rught now.

Well I got a 512MB 400 stick of RAM today and I'm going to see how it goes dude! I'll be back from the shop and done with overclock experimenting in about an hour, brb ...

A 1/6 divider is what allows you to run your FSB at higher speeds (above 166). By the time you get around 180 FSB your PCI, IDE and AGP are all running at 36 MHz (180/5) which is 3 MHz faster than normal. I have heard it is not safe to go above 38 MHz or you can corrupt your harddrive and have to reinstall windows. This is where the 1/6 divider helps... 180/6 puts your system down to 30 Mhz PCI, etc... this is how you can run at 200 FSB (200/6 = 33 MHz which is normal speed for PCI).

The 400 MHz RAM will allow you to overclock your CPU much better!

Strangely, I am not able to go over 140 being stable yet. There's gotta be something in there that I can change like flipping a switch to make those FSB numbers soar. I unpluged my 10GB HDD and it did nothing, btw ... kinda expected that to happen though.

Do you think its my AGP card? It's an old Winfast GeForce2 card, and on the bootup it says 1998-2000, so it's three years old or so.

What else could it be? Hmmmm ... couldn't be any IDE devices ... not the RAM ... ummmmm ... I enabled onboard LAN, would turning that off do anything ya think? I also have sound enabled. I have some extra NICs lying around that I could plug in. My BIOS is the latest version too, flashed it about a week ago.

Boy, it all comes down to the AGP to me. But would that affect the FSB? ... I think that's it ...

PS I hand-cut a window into my case and got an LED fan and cathode lights. Now I know why you guys do this stuff ... it's sooo tight! I had to put in on my desk instead of under just cause of the modz. It's not too $$ either, considering cutting the window only cost me 89 cents. I might paint off that beige too, but that window is on there for good with this "permanent" 2x sided tape. Gotta mask ... lol case mods rule

Well, do you know exactly what your chip is? Thoroughbred A or B?

Can you drop your multiplier at all? In the BIOS?

You have the 400 MHz Ram installed? If you do... what are your DRAM settings in your BIOS?

The onboard Lan and sound won't really affect your overclocking... disabling them will just give you a little more resources.

I think it is just getting your system setup right... you are not pushing your AGP or IDE and PCI too hard yet by running at 140 FSB.

Case mods are some of the best fun in having a computer... I made a new side panel out of clear Acrylic, installed two 80mm blue LED fans directly over my CPU and my southbridge for better cooling and then mounted it with two strips of velcro, one on top and one on bottom for easy removal.

Keep me posted. I will check back.

Whoa!! I read the technical manual for my CPU, slipped in three little wires in my socket pins, and got it unlocked and set for 1.85 vcore voltage successfully!! And strangely, it let me romp with FSB! I'm now at 183 MHz!! psyched ... I don't know what the multiplier settings or the vcore settings had to do with the FSB, cause I was running it at 12x with the "paint the last L3" trick and it's still at 12x with the wire trick. Anyways, I'm now at 183 MHz! That's totally awesome. Damn this forum rocks!!

Oh it's a t-bred b chip

I think people call it a t-bred cause they can't spell throurahbread (lol ... kinda like me ... )

It's awesome dude, thanks for the help!

I was always a 2.2 GHz, but never at 183 MHz FSB! Man you outta see how fast my audio projects load now ... it's a rocket!

BTW - I'm at 182 I think right now ... is my data in danger? It's really stable, but it does do akward things now and then ...

I wouldn't go any further if it acts a little funny once in a while... but I think you should be fine. I ran mine at 180 and had no more quirks.

Yup, I'm down to 180 now. Think I sould wire up my socket for a faster multi and go for some more or should I call that good?

What's your multi now? I didn't mod my multi I just ran it at 12.5 for 2250 MHz but I was gonna mod the multi until I bought this board (in my sig) now I don't have to because it does it for me...

;>{ )

Back