• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How can I make this heatsink more effective

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Skiing Squirrel

I have a slot-1 p3 running at 500mhz (stock). When I got the cpu, I took the heatsink off, and looked at it. It had fairly deep grooves in it, so I thought it wasnt getting good thermal contact with the core. So, I lapped it and lapped it. I went from 200-1500 grit. Wet and dry. I finally put it back on, and I think I lapped it a little too much. The heatsink isnt getting good contact with the core. Are there any ways (really cheap or free) to fix this problem? Maybe putting more pressure on the heatsink to the core? Thanks.

What kind of mounting method are you using? It seems like it needs more pressure to get good contact like you said, but I'm not familiar with the mounting method for slot 1's.

Pressure is one thing... I dunno if you can get hold of a 1 mm copper plate, give some AS3 to contact with CPU and AS3 to the heatsink as well.

But pressure is the essense, as I'm not sure the 1mm cu plate will help much.

You're bound to find some 1 mm cu plates at local industry bins. I used to nick cu pipes a lot from the local ventilator factor. Cheap and top quality if you care to fiddle.

Cheers, Flix

I think you'll be fine like it is.

It's definately not the most perfect solution, but it's not like a slot1 P3-500 is going to clock very high to begin with :\

You're very correct in that if you use anything on the core that increases the distance you won't have a problem.

You won't have a problem because you just killed your chip.

The heatsinks on Slot CPU's not only cool the core, but also the off-core L2 cache.

PII Celery PIII and Athlon's take note of that...

Put more thermal paste, that should work for a P3, yes putting it thick isnt better, but in this case it is probably better then no contact, try it and see, it should help some.

Back