• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Too Many SLK's?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ron Jeremy

Registered
Hi guys.

I currently have an Athlon XP2100+ overclocked to 2.35GHz. I'm using a Thermalright SLK-800 heatsink with a Y.S. Tech fan on it. It cools the processor amazingly well and I've been nothing but happy with it. However I'm upgrading to a Barton 2500+ processor soon and I need a new heatsink for it. I'd like to get another Thermalright SLK- heatsink and again use the same Y.S.-Tech fan. I can't use my old SLK-800 with the XP2100+ as it's going in another rig.

So I check out NewEgg and find the SLK-800(A), the SLK-800(U) and the SLK-900. Which one would y'all recommend? The Y.S. Tech is an 80mm fan btw. Are the cooling properties significantly different between the three heatsinks?

Thanks in advance,
RJ

Cooling properties differ by 1 C/W between the SLK800 and SLK900, i.e., almost no difference, certainly not justifying their price difference. There is no difference in cooling ability between the SLK800A and U, but the SLK800A has a tendency to move shift around quite a lot when moved a lot, so its advisable to reseat it everytime you move your rig around. An SLK800U gives you a little more peace of mind, so that's what I'd recommend.

the only reason u might wanna get a slk-900 is to get a higher cfm/dba ratio from a fan while using a 92mm fan instead of 80mm.

Back