• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this possible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

huneycutt

I was cruising around the goodie sites and saw this on sale
http://www.nexfan.com/evcucoacofrs1.html I read the review and figured what the heck, for eighteen bucks I'll try one.

I use the A7N8X Dlx revision 2.0 with an Athalon XP 2100+, downgraded 2600 B core, fsb 166 I get 2166Mhz no sweat.
I originally ordered the AMD boxed version from newegg to get the three year AMD warranty and used the AMD HS & Fan with the pink pad and the CPU temps ran average 115F. Temps I quote are those shown by ASUS Probe version 2.18.04.
I received the EverCool in a timely manner and removed the AMD HS and fan, then oh so carefully cleaned the CPU die with OOPS.
I applied the OOPS several times very sparingly then absorbed it with a Q tip and ultimately had a nice, like new, shiney CPU die. I know, use lint free and I blew it off to remove any lint.

I used the regular old white HS compound and mounted the EverCool on the CPU. Yup, I know how important it is to apply the compound properly, not tooo much, not tooo little. OK Ba-bee, now we ready to rock n' roll.

Hooked that bad boy up, fired it off and after fifteen minutes nearly fell out of my chair because Probe was showing me a constant CPU temp 89F ! ! Now I am by no means one who leans towards skepticism, so I figure Probe, for some unknown reason, went assunder. I uninstall then reinstall Probe and see the same 89F. WHOA! That's 25 degrees cooler!

I'll 'fess up and say I am a novice to this OC'ing and have learned a lot from you good folks here. Just an Old Bird senior citizen with a sincere love and fascinated by computers and built my first one a year ago. BTW, have any of you ever had the same exerience whereby an aftermarket HS set-up drops the CPU temp that much?

For what it's worth, I used the DynaPower Atlas metal case with the side case fan, 80MM 32CFM fan, Fortron 350W PSU with one cooling fan. No heavy duty case cooling here, average run of the mill case & case fans. I'm astounded by the significant drop in temp and would certainly appreciate hearing your experiences.

Thanks and have a fine evening. OldBird

Last edited:
Well welcome then!
First things first, everyone uses Celcius even thouhg 98% of us are from the USA!

used the AMD HS & Fan with the pink pad and the CPU temps ran average 115F

No, that's far to low for any Athlon Let alone your heat demon!

after fifteen minutes nearly fell out of my chair because Probe was showing me a constant CPU temp 89F ! !

Still not right ;)

The problem is that the probe reads every temp too low. There for the entire scale is off.

1) The probe is still off even though you did different software
2) Yes you did get a good improvement! Sadly, it's still problably running higher than 115F under load by leaps and bounds heh.

The fact is that very few motherboard probes, or on CPU diodes read reliably. The only way to get an accurate temp is by using something not on the motherboard.

Unless you're fighting heat stability, or want to do some moderate or more overclocking, no reason for you to go any more cooling that your first upgrade.

This is why sevrial of us say if it's stable it's fine. ;)
If it aint broke, don't fix it! Much!!!

The good news is that now your chances of heat locking in the summer are allready greatly reduced!

I tried to get modernized and use that metric stuff, but I'm an old Southern grits n' biscuits, Chevy truck, country boy red neck, American born, American veteran and live in America, therefore I speaky the Kings English and use American numbers, as in Fahrenheit, inches and miles, not Celsius, metric and kilometers. Can't relate to those numbers very well and have to use a converter, so I'll stick with American numbers.

I used the same ASUS Probe utility software as with the AMD HS, and even if the scale is "off" I'm very pleased with the tremendous improvement I see.

I have a second 'puter, SOLTEK board using the same OC'd CPU and ordered another EverCool and some Arctic Silver II. When I get it hooked I'll compare temps and confirm what I see.
By the way, the SOLTEK is a very nice board.

I was cruising some high tech website looking at those CPU water coolers with the radiator that goes on top of the case. Now I reckon those folks are into some SERIOUS overclocking. WOW! Talk about nice toys!

Being an old pilot my first thought was, "What if that cooling rig sprang a leak and sprayed inside the 'puter with coolant. . . . ?" Kind'a-sort'a the same situation that strikes terror into any pilots heart; 100 Octane avgas spraying the engine compartment at 40,000 feet. (That's 12,192 meters.) I did some more research and found out they use non-conductive cooling fluid. Made me feel better, but for the time being I'll stick with what I got.
OldBird

Last edited:
If you check the rules, you'll see that temps have to be in Celsius.

Its ok though, i was also probably a n00b once.

EDIT: That came off as rude. You can post them in °F or °K but i have difficulty talking about computer temps in anything other than °C.

I used this heatsink and fan on a 1.2 Celeron running at 1680 with a vcore of 1.70. It kept the processor around 46C running prime 95 for 24 hrs. I'm using an SK7 now with the 70mm fan off that heatsink. It works better for me than the TTSF2. It ran in the 42C range with this setup. I added a duct from the side of the case and it dropped the load temps to 38C.

It is always good to have new people getting into overclocking. That does seem like excellent performance for $18.

Thank You,
Daniel

Let's see...the conversion for F to C is.....
C=(9/5)F-32....or was it C=(9/5)(F-32)?
Damn me for being done with classes and letting my brain forget. :D
(I had to look it up...it's C=(5/9)(F-32))

Anyway, 115F translates to 46.1C and 89F translates to 31.7C. That gives you a 14.4C drop. Those may not be your actual temps, but the drop would still be the same (by the way, I hear that the ASUS probe can be up to 10C off). That's pretty good, but you also have to take into account that you're going from a stock AMD HSF (which does not work very well) to a nice copper HS with a good(compared to the stock cooler) 70mm fan on it.

Back