• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit = POS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

corrupt

Alright, I have researched the for a couple years and am still yet to find an effective solution. I guess I will start off with my system specs.

mobo: Abit KG7
cpu: Amd xp 1700
Bios: 5w
Video: gf2 mx 400 64mb
Sound: Pos
15 gig maxtor

If you need anymore info let me know.

Ok so, my problem is freezing. If I clock to 1700 (1.47 ghz) 133 fsb I freeze about 5 minutes after boot up. If I lower it to anything else with 133 fsb it will continue to do the same. However when I lower to 1600 or 1500 (100 fsb) it runs fine.. sometimes. I thought it was my voltage cause it was all out of sync with the generic one I had so I bought an Antec 350w which did change my voltage however did not stop the freezing, Now I have heard of the infinite loop error which did not really apply to my problem, I have also highered my slew rate to 7 instead of 1 which did help, but did not solve as well as I hoped. So if anyone has any suggestions on what could be the problem, besides telling me to buy a new computer :p please tell me.

Also my cpu temp is now running at around 50 degrees celcius now that its summer. I know that is high but its Amd.. they always run hot. Alright thanks for your time.

Have you ever checked the cooling of your northbridge chip? The stock cooler isn't great, and often makes poor contact. Removing the stock cooler, and lapping it, and replacing the thermal grease with a careful application of AS3 can make a big difference.
Have you tried different slots for your memory?
Have you ever tried boosting the voltage of your memory?

Back