• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermalright SLK-600 on NF7-S northbridge?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ge|atinousFury

What kind of modification would I have to make or mounting setup would be required to cool the northbridge of an NF7-S rev 2.0 with a Thermalright SLK-600? I assume that holding the heatsink on with just epoxy would physically stress the motherboard a bit (I could be wrong though....that's why I'm posting this). The SLK-600 weighs 430 grams. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
That much weight glued to your NB could tear it out of the socket.

Good NB coolers have mounting systems that line up with the mounting holes on opposite corners or sides of the NB.

Vertig0 said:
Yes, I'm wondering why you're wanting to do this?

I'm just thinking out loud here. I don't actually know if it would actually make enough difference to improve an overclock, or if it's overkill. I thought it might make for a larger overclock, that's all:D

The Blazer said:
There's no such as overkill, it's just really really well done ! :D

Very well said!!!!!!!!! i used the stock hsf off my wife's 2100+, you can use the stock nb hs as a patern to mark the holes then drill & tap the hs, use screws w/plastic or rubber washers . i did the same thing to my 9700 w/an old coolermaster hsf that was on my old 1700+. they work great!:thup: there's no such thing as overkill, the whole idea of Overclocking is OVERKILL!:burn:

bill said:
The Blazer said:
There's no such as overkill, it's just really really well done ! :D

Very well said!!!!!!!!! i used the stock hsf off my wife's 2100+, you can use the stock nb hs as a patern to mark the holes then drill & tap the hs, use screws w/plastic or rubber washers . i did the same thing to my 9700 w/an old coolermaster hsf that was on my old 1700+. they work great!:thup: there's no such thing as overkill, the whole idea of Overclocking is OVERKILL!:burn:

Great idea, bill!! I might end up trying it if I get some free time here soon.

I had a bunch of old heatsinks laying around & figured if their good enough for a cpu they must be great for a NB or gpu & the best part they were FREE!:clap:

One of the best reasons to get a retail CPU for a few bux more is the free NB HS. Us overclockers can forget about that extended 3 year warrenty :(

I did it to mine .......a month and a bit ago

NB5.jpg

Mr.Spec (aka Spec3 :D ), oh.. you copied my style. Hahahahaha.... Good to see u here..

Nice going there. I knew you were working on SK-6 for the NB and achieved some good result with the vdd mod and FSB overclocking... The FSB achieved was 250 FSB SCDDR wasn't it? .... Fantastic work.. I thought you're on Pelt on the NB now..

Yeah I used to switch around between heavy copper SK-6 and Swiftech waterblock w/ freezing water for my rev1.1 & 1.2's NB and the result was not needing as much Vdd voltage to get the same high FSBs... was able to shub it with default Vdd and took care of it on my rev1.1 and 1.2 boards. As we pro's know, cooling is always the best and should be encouraged.. This is in the [H]ard class guys.. hehehehe.....

mrspec3 said:
I did it to mine .......a month and a bit ago

NB5.jpg
I see im not the only one to use the tyrap trick to hold on the NB/hsf, those things are great.:thup:

I did pelt the NB a week ago and it let me lower the VDD voltage by about 0.14V and stay at the same fsb.

Here are some pics of that

pelt1.jpg

pelt2.jpg

I basically used a zip tie that I cut down to fit through the mounting holes and placed a motherboard mounting peg in the center of the heatsink to add more down pressure. I am going to be making a real mounting system for the NB and my cpu waterblock this week

Steve

I just unscrewed it from the heatsink. Than came off my Iwill XP333-R's NB. It's totally stable. I just crazy glued it to the heatsink

Steve

Back