• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ducting w/ 2 fans + HS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

koontz946

ok so i saw a really interesting cooling mod (http://www.808.dk/modding/ducting.html), and was wondering if a small change to it could make it more efficient.

in his mod, there is only the fan pulling the cooler air in from the outside directly onto the cpu.
would having a fan at both ends of the ducting (one at the outside of the case, one by the processor), as well as having a heatsink on top of the processor (attached to the processor would be a Cooler Master X-Dream; the fan and heatsink) produce lower temps?

i think to make things easier for the fan on the heatsink a fan at the end would definetly help since it's a pretty long duct

i'd put a slower/lower cfm fan at the end though :/

thats what it would be... a 4800 rpm, 62.8 CF/M fan on the X-Dream, and a 2100 rpm, 23.7 CF/M fan (my old, OLD case fan) at the front of the case

koontz946 said:
EMAIL ME THE PIC!!!!!!!!! I've been asking a/b doing that in another thread... but i cant see ur pic.

It's not a pic of the setup...yet, just a pic of my temps

It's most likley becuase i rebooted my computer, try again ;-)

It's quite easy, if you want i can explain it all to you

ok, got it that time. if you wanna explain it, id be interested in how you did it

p.s. - when ARE you gonna get a pic of the setup? :)

i dont know if a pic is really needed.

I went to my local ace hardware store, spent 8 bux on some duct, came home, duct taped the duct to half of my a/c, duct taped that to my case, reveresed the fans all around (my air is now coming from the back) and turned everything on.

I supose i could go buy more duct tomorrow and see if i can get better temps by feeding that directly to my HSF

yeah, thats what my idea was... take some ducting, put it to the output of an a/c unit, then take that and put it up to an internal fan, then take more ducting and put it to the heatsink

I would use fans with equal speeds because I'm pretty sure the air won't go any faster than your slowest fan.

wouldnt it be best to have a faster fan at the cpu b/c then the slower fan would just be bringing the cool air to the faster fan, not actually trying to cool off the cpu? the faster fan would be doing the actual cooling.

it would be more efficient, right?

You need fans of equal speed or one that is even faster on the front. A slower fan on the front would restrict the flow to the faster fan.

I actually tried the mod.

At first I tried it with my 120mm blowhole on top, then I did it with an 80mm exhaust, but it left my case really hot, so now I am back to normal.

All in a days work. ;)

what im gonna do is have the 2 fans for the ducting, and get another one to cool off the rest of the case... should be done by thursday... *UPS PLEASE BE ON TRACK!!*

I realize what I did wrong!!!

I will try it tomorrow again, with an additional fan.

Back