• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cooling question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sludge

Registered
hey guys , well, i finaly finished o/c my rig, here are the specs

amd2200+ tbred A @ 2.0ghz 200x10
nf7-s v2.0 NB - stock cooling , SB- Vga HSF.
256x2 Geil ulcd kit runnin at 400mhz 6-3-3-2
gforce fx5600ultra
2x40gb Maxtor on Raid0
Xaser III tower
Volcano 7+
runnin 24/7 tested with prime95/sandra/seti - stable as a rock.

ambient temp : 30C
cpu temp : 45C idle / 48 load
system temp : 28C idle / 30 load

now the questions are :

1. are my temps 2 high?
2. is ambient +15 is the best i can get with this case+hsf?
3. will geting an SLK-800/900 improve the cpu temps dramaticly?

1) no
2) no
3) yes, but only if u want to o/c more, whats the point in upgrading if ur satisfied and its stable?

hey obliv. 10x for replying

i do want to o/c more, i was just worried that the temps were already 2 high, its a tbred A, so i know that they don't like to o/c realy well. and 2200+ is the last of them i think no?

ehh, u said that i can get better then ambient +15 , how? :)
i changed all the fans in the Xaser from 10A, to 15A, but had like a 1C improvment, so besides getting 7 x tornado's i can't realy thing of anything else i could do.

Hello Sludge.

1. No, your temperatures are not too high. Remember though that the cooler you can run your processor, the higher you will be able to overclock.

2. I really don't know. There is no universal calculation that allows you to calculate the lowest possible temperature with a certain configuration of hardware. However, all things considered, +15°C ambient isn't too bad for a cpu temp. With a little tweaking of your airflow, you might be able to get your idle temp down to something like +10°C.

3. While you would see some improvement, the Volcano 7+ isn't actually all that bad of a HS. I do not believe that you would see a dramatic improvement in your cpu temp if you purchased an SLK-800/900.

One thing that puzzles me is your cpu idle/load temp difference: A difference of only 3°C is virtually only attainable with water cooling. If I may ask, what exactly are you using to put your cpu under load when you record your cpu's load temp?

Welcome to the forums by the way! :)

hey tio, 10x its good 2 be here :)

i used prime/sandra/seti to load the cpu, i ran all of this programs for a couple of hours , and its only 3C diffrence,

i tryed reading the temps with winbond hardware monitor/mbm5
and the extra sensor on the Hardcano that comes with the Xaser.

Alright, well if that's the case and you really do only have a 3°C temp difference between idle and load temps, then you should try to lower your case temperature. Try running your system with your case's side pannel off. If your cpu runs significantly cooler, then you'll know that you simply need to improve the airflow in your case.

Do you know what your room temperature is?

ehh ,the case door is already opened
and the room temp is around 30C-33C
but the thermometer i placed inside the case saz 30C

Ok, well considering your room temp. is 30°C, your temperatures are actually pretty good then.

Both your case and CPU temps are fine but they are at the point where you will want to watch them when the room gets hot. I really don't think you will get much of a performacne boost by going to the SLK-800/900

Thank You,
Daniel

Those are very good temps. However, I was wondering how you managed to get your idle system temps cooler than your room temp.

those are awesome temps with a tbred A core 2200...my 2200 was horrible....and when summer hit...o geez don't get me started....thats why i replaced it with a 2400....I can't believe you got that good of an overclock with a 2200...mine wouldn't do more than 1900 and that wasn't even stable at the end of the day...good luck with it

wow, thanks alot for the help guys, realy apretrate it.

nerdlogic : the system sensor on my board is located a couple of
cm down from the cpu, so i guess that the air from the
volcano and the 2 80mm, 35cfm front fans cool it down.

now another thing, i did a little xperiment yesterday, and placed the case door back, the temps rose only by 1.5C

from what i understand that means that the case cooling is ok, and its the HSF, that doesn't cool enough

so i guess i'll go for the SLK anyway.

and again, 10x everyone.

I don't know what to tell you. I mean if you only have a 3°C differece between your idle and load temps, I'd stick with that HSF! You could shell out the money for an SLK, but I think you're going to be disapointed with how little a gain in your overclock you will most likely achieve. With a room temp of 30°C, a load temp of 48°C is actually very good.

well, i realy hope ur wrong tio :), but i already orderd it, i'll post the resaults, after he will arive.

btw, what is the theoretical limit of the tbred A? anyone got an idea?

Back