• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

O-Clock NF7 - Setup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jlush

Hey,
My NF7 is in the mail as we speak, I've got geil pc 3200 w/ copper heatspreaders coming along too, with a 1700 jiuhb dlt3c here already. My radeon 9700 pro should be arriving eith the mobo. Before i screw anything up, what do I need to do before overclocking?

What should my ram things be, I ahve no idea what they're for but I've ehard of these 6-3-4-2 and 5-1-6-2 or whatever.... my ram is cas 2, what should my numbers be?

What should my core Voltage be? as high as I can put it? (my cpu has a volcano hs on it)

What should my ram voltage be? 2.6? 2.8?

What should my agp voltage be at? should I even change it?

ANd last but not least, what settings should I have for the cpu with the NF7?

FSB
MULTI

I've told you my system so hopefully you can help me out!!!!

Please try and answer as much as possible,

hopefully this sytem will run DOOM III!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THanks in advance, cya

With the ram you are getting I would thing that the timings should be fine at 7-3-3-CAS2. Depending on the cooling you are using, it is fine to use any voltage you like...but I try to stay below 2.1 or 55C...whichever comes first. I keep my memory voltage at 2.8v and my chipset voltage a 1.7v. I usually dont change my AGP voltage, but if you are going to be overclocking it a lot you may want to. The CPU you are getting should be able to hit anywhere between 2.2-2.5Ghz, so a 200Mhz - 210Mhz FSB should do you well, and anywhere between 12x and 12.5x multiplier will get you where you want to go.
Good luck
;)

Cool,
What difference does it make if my timings are 7-3-3-2 or 5-2-2-2?
Will one be faster? noticably faster? please let me know, and do you think that for a 2.4 ghz overclock I will need a really good fan?
right now I have a cooljag jac152a 5600rpm.

thanks

with EVERYTHING in overclocking, its best to start low, and then work your way up. Install your OS at default speeds, then start gradually raising one variable (fsb, multiplier, ram timings) until it isn't stable anymore, then back off a little and start raising something else.

as for your vcore, it should be as low as possible to achieve the highest overclock. If its higher than necessary you're just making extra heat which will limit your overclocking and make it unstable

so lower timings are better? Ive heard people say the opposite, but also say the same. timings like 7-3-3-3 and stuff like that
please explain this..........im gonna get some crucial pc3200 ddr 2x256 with my nf7......what should my timings be?
what should my voltage be? (cpu is 1700+ 0309) so i'll be overclocking a lot. (fsb of like 200+)
you other nf7 owners, please tell me your voltages and timings and fsb's

THANKS SO MUCH!
(my mobo arrives tomorrow)

Yeah, lower timings are better.. except in some cases on nForce2 boards where making the high one(forget what it's called) higher is faster. I would just up the memory voltage as high as it goes.. I would put multiplier at 9 and memory at 100% memory timings at 7-3-3-CL2.5 then find the highest stable FSB, starting at about 200.. then lower the timings as much as you can at the FSB you found.. HDD corruption is always a possibilty finding your fastest FSB/mem timings.. and that = reformat.. You can help avoiding it by testing for stability with Prime95 or some other prog everytime you make something faster.. rather than just see what you can boot into windows with like many do then go down cause it's faster.

hey, so ill install windows and stuff, then go into bios and put my multi at 9, then my fsb at 200, while making my mem voltage 2.9 or whatever the highest is, and also have my timings at 7-3-3-2.5 . then, I should slowly up the fsb until..... it wont load windows? then step it backa bit, and lower the timings as much as possible... how will I know when to stop?

Thanks

also, what about my cpu voltage and other voltages?

thanks, this is goin to be a lot of help for me

Cpu voltage you will just have to figure out yourself. I think the only other voltage is AGP which i would leave at 1.5. Make sure you lock AGP at 66 and PCI at 33 if there is an option for PCI.. it is perm locked on Epox boards. I would put cpu voltage at 1.525 actaully... I am assuming at 1.525 with a multi of 9 your cpu will not be limited by voltage at any FSB you can handle.. you may first want to test teh max stable CPU clock at that voltage using hgih multi and low FSB. You will know when to stop Upping fsb because you should test it for stability everytime you up it with 3dmarks or Prime95.. i recommend using all 3dmark03 tests for initial stability test then Prime95 for 100% non-stop use stabilty. You can up it till it wont load windows.. then lower it till it's stable.. thats what i would do but you are risking HDD corruption which would cause you to need to reformat.. The other thing you can do is test for stabilty each time you up it a bit as it will become unstable before it will start to not load windows. After you get the highest FSB stable possible with those timings begin to lower them one at a time starting with CAS from 2.5 to 2.0 as it ussually shows the most performance increase... again though you risk corruption messing with the timings but it is unlikely.. you will probaly have to reset your bios a few times though.. not sure about the NF-7 but on Epox boards if you hold Insert key then tap Delete you can reset the bios and get back in and your last configuration will still be set in the bios, but will not be being used until you save.. otherwise everything will reset and you will have select everything again. I believe in FSB over timings by far so this is how i say to do it.. i think most will agree.

Edit: I forgot you have VDD adjustment up to 1.7 i think.. so i would put that there.

ok sweet!

haha pretty plain and simple there, now all I gotta do is wait for MR Fedex to arrive with my 9700pro and nf7 and ram!

Back