• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone using this OEM rheobus?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fuzzywuzzy

Registered
35rheobus_big.jpg

Linky linky

It's an OEM model so alot of stores tack their own name on it... I think it fits my needs perfectly, and the reviews sound pretty good (search for 3.5" rheobus on Yahoo).

HOWEVER, I've just heard one report that when the voltage is lowered to the lowest setting, the fans studder...??? Reasoning being that it manages 7v by pulsing 12v, which ends up making the fan noisy...

Anyone have any experience with this?

Hmmmm...it looks like an OEM version of the Nexus, but I can't be sure. If so, it would probably be okay as long as it's a newer one where the trace is rerouted(it used to run under a screw and was causing problems...search Vantec Death Destruction)

As a matter of fact, I have one of these in blue with red LEDs.

I've got a pair of 80mm Panaflows rigged up to this, each on their own channel. On the first, you can hear a faint but high-pitched noise, but I can't figure out if it's from the fan or the rheobus. But apparently, a 'growling' is normal and unavoidable due to the PWM electronics used.

The other fan doesn't work at all, regardless of what setting it's on. AFAIK, my wiring is sound, so it could be that the fan is shot or I've got a defective rheobus. But I'm too busy figuring out how to put in my new watercooling system to worry about that.

Its not a vantec nexus ... I have one of these in my rig and the fans don't stutter at all when on lowest setting... There is the tiny whine from the rheobus when its on the lowest setting but thats it.

Vantec are releasing a 3.5" nexus thing and that is defintly going to whine just like the NXP 201...

I can't remember why (its getting late) but it uses pulses to slow the fan down... For some reason I keep thinking its called pulse width modulation but probably wrong !

Back