• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

slot/bay fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stan-wells

I run a mostly stock crossover cable network with one AMD2600+, 128 MiB Radeon 9000, 1 GiB DDR2100 on a Dragon Lite MB w/ 350w bottom intake PSU and one AMD2000+, 32 MiB Nvidia GeForce MMX2, 512 MiB SDRAM on a Jetway MB with 300 w rear intake PSU.

Both are running standard fan configurations.

I run background progams 24/7 (Seti, United Devices, Find-A-Drug).

I find that my systems are running warm (56-57C for the 2600 and 60-62C for the 2000).

Without modifying the cases I debated on Slot or Bay fans to increase circulation and lower temperatures. Any suggestions on which is better or what brand of either is recommended?

[color=ff9000]Welcome To The Forums!!![/color]

I would HIGHLY suggest that you put your fans blowing IN the front bottom of the case, and OUT the top rear. This brings the air over the important parts of your computer. If you have air blowing out the slots, then you will cool your PCI cards good, but your cpu will suffer.

Welcome to the forums.
For the most part, I have found that slot fans don't perform all that well. Bay fans are more helpful, and will aid in keeping your drives cooler as well, but without modding your case, you end up with quite a bit of intake, and not enough exhaust. You then end up keeping more hot air inside your case. If at all possible, look to perhaps adding some smaller exhaust fans to any vent slots in the rear.

If you are running stock cooling,I would suggest that you invest in a SLK-800 heatsink and a good high output fan. See my sig.
It is worth the money.
I run SETI 24/7 and my system stay cool.
Case cooling is important too, but you really need to cool your processor better.
And use Artic Silver 3 for your thermal grease.

Yeah, the only slot fans that can move any air at all are going to be overly loud.

Take a look at the failed GForce for an example.

Stay away from the slot fan. Put a blowhole on the top of your case with a 120 or 92 mm fan. Works much better ;)

do you guys mean fans that attach to a pci slot such as the antec cyclone when you're talking about slot fans?

if so they are awesome for cooling an overclocked video card but you have to attach it to the back of the vid card, u have to mod it slightly but it takes only 30secs to 1 minute to do

you'll be taking out heat caused by the video card which will bring your system temp down too...

I think that slot fans have only one good use. To keep video cards cooler. For the most part when you mount one underneath the card it can keep the temperatures down. I have one in one of my computers because I had it lying around and it is quite and I needed a little bit more cooling. But for the most part they do not cool that well. I would get a bay cooler.

Thank You,
Daniel

well if you put it under the video card, the slot fan and the video card fan fight for air, they're both facing each other and are pretty close and both are trying to get all the air...

Back