• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8rda NB cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hkgonra

I just got an 8rda from newegg refurb. I have a 120mm 78cfm fan in my case blowing directly on the NB , do I still need to change the stock cooler ?

i would say no, the 8rda stock nb cooler is bigger than any of the thermaltake orbs and vantec iceberqs, it just lacks active cooling, with active cooling like yours it should be better than replacing the cooler

I would take it off and AS3 and lap it. It comes with about 5mm of bubblegum under it and makes the worst contact i have seen.

I would replace it. The NB cooler is attached by a thermal pad that covers less than half the surface area of the NB chip. I replaced mine with a Vantec Iceberq and saw IMMEDIATE stability impovements! I also placed the original NB HS on the southbridge after cleaning. That made a difference too because it was warm to the touch. I am getting +17 FSB from just doing this cooling mod!!, (currently at 192x11 with a Barton 2500).

I followed the cooling guide here:

http://www.8rdafaq.com/Epox_nForce2/index.php

good luck!

PS I used Artic Silver 3 on the NB and SB mods. You WILL need to take a hacksaw to the NB cooler though. You'll see...

I used AS3 on the NB but didn't lap it. Is there really much point since the NB isn't flat? I've got an 80mm side fan that blows on the NB as well as some of the wash from the HSF, it gets hot but not too bad. Still bringing up the clocks so we'll see how that works.

-Rav

I didn't lap either. Suprisingly, the edge of my razor laid nearly flush against the NB chip. It wasn't concave like I have seen others post elsewhere. The key is to get as much of the surface area in contact with the heatsink. Removing the thermal pad and using AS3 is a step in the right direction. Having a fan blow across is a good move too. Although, an Iceberq has more contact surface area than the stock HS. I guess lap only if you feel you need to.

hi,

what about 8RGA+?
does that NB heatsink also uses thermal pad?
btw,how do u take off those plastic clips?

thanks

If the HS looks the same as the 8rda+, I bet that it is the same pad. Check a site that has pics, like newegg.

To get the pins out, just pinch the clips on the back of the motherboard. You will need to heat the HS with a hair dryer or something for about 15 seconds to loosen the thermal pad to pull it off. Caution, it can get VERY hot to the touch.

oh crapoman,it looks like the same heatsink :(
crap,gotta take it apart again
when it was just put togather :rolleyes:

what's wrong with epox? :rolleyes:
putting these crappy thermal pad? :rolleyes:

I attached an old PIII hs fan onto the northbridge and I just hit 200mhz FSB without a vdd mod :) Running prime95 stable now, we'll see about overnight!

Back