• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best place to store arctic silver?... How about the fridge?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hawkeye_wx

Is the fridge a good place to store artic silver? Or does it really matter? I think their site says cold storage slows down the particle separation within the grease or something like that.

Why don't you go to their site and find out, then come back and tell everybody else?

I just want to know if anyone bothers with storing their thermal grease in any particular place.

Last edited:
It's possible that storing it at a lower temperature will slow down the particle seperation but I would think that particle settling would take a long time, regarless.

It's a valid point, well presented, and deserves an answer, that's why.

Do you know the optimum conditions for storing your computer parts and accessories?

I would hazard a guess about storing AS in a cool, dry environment (maybe not the fridge, but certainly the back of a cupboard, and out of direct sunlight would be good)

As a rough guide, something between 10&20 degrees C would be optimal, and should ensure maximum shelf life for the magic silver goop:)

Artic Silver storage.

Off the Arctic Silver website:

Like any mix of particles that are many times heavier than the suspension fluid, there will be some separation in the compound over time when stored in the original syringe. (All thermal compounds eventually experience some separation in storage.) This does not affect the performance of the unseparated or remixed compound.

To keep the compound fresh for future applications, always replace the cap on the syringe after each use. The syringe should be stored tip down so that any separation that occurs will be at the back end of the syringe with fully suspended particles below that. Storing in a cool place like a refrigerator will also lessen the separation over time.

I've had mine sitting on Zoilo's desk in his room since I first got it in March. Then again, it's only been sitting idle for about 3 weeks at a time since we've used it every once in a while with experiments.

I keep mine at room temp. and it will last as long as I need it. I guess I use it fast enough that it does not seperate. Just shake it up every time.

Thank You,
Daniel

Back