• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

General Air Cooling Theory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FACTION95Si

I was wondering about the general theory of air cooling. To get the best results, is it how turbulent the air is hitting the heatsink or is it the volume of air that’s passing over/through it?

I think it's a matter of volume of air, and the amount of static pressure used to push the air through the fins or pins of the heatsink

1. How well the material in the heatsink transfers heat.

2. How much air is flowing over the heatsink to take the heat away.

It is the volume of air. Turbulant air can actually some times reduce the performance. That is why feathered fans work so well.

Thank You,
Daniel

nerdlogic said:

I agree if you add static pressure to the list. :)

Static pressure does no cooling.

I can seal the airflow side of a heasink up in a can, and pump the can up to enormous static pressure. It certainly won't improve my cooling though.

Static pressure is a consequence of moving air through a restriction, due to friction of the air against the the restricting object, and friction of the air against itself due to turbulence.

The backpressure of a heatsink is something that needs to be overcome in order to move air through the heatsink.

Back