• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how many cut-off wheels will i need?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AZImmortal

i'm planning on cutting at least four 80mm holes into my steel case, and i was wondering how many fiberglass reinforced cut-off wheels i would need to do such a job. i've already ordered a pack of 10, but i've never done this before so i don't know what to expect. also, would diamond cut-off wheels be better? i've seen mixed reactions to them, and i can't seem to find a place that sells packs of them for a good price.

I went through 3 just doing a window mod in my hard drive(aluminum) with my dremel. Admited though they were not 80mm to start, more like 30mm.

One of my friends used 4 cutters with my dads dremel to cut a circuler shape for a 120 fan... Althought i think it was cheap crap that comes with it when you buy the set :rolleyes:

Those things dont tend to last very long heh

schismspeak said:
jigsaw works for me, just use the dremel to make the starting hole.
u used a jigsaw to cut a circular hole? is that hard? my dad has a jigsaw, but i'm not sure if we have any blades for cutting steel.

Yeah it works, if you have something to hold the panel down ( my knee works for me), and it works fine for other parts of your case too, you could just cut a square also, it really dont matter, just make sure the square is smaller than the fan (ofcourse). Circular holes, IMO, are no harder then cutting a square hole and might actually be easier because you dont have to make a 90* turn.

Blades for cutting steel are at most a couple of bucks at the local hardware store.

schismspeak said:
jigsaw works for me, just use the dremel to make the starting hole.
I agree 10 should be plenty, I used those crappy ones that came with my RTX and went through about 8 of those doing a 120mm blow hole for my old case, but the reinforced should work much better and last alot longer.
Oops I quoted the wrong person, I ment to quote arabarabian.:rolleyes:

1 more vote for jigsaw, ive done several grill removals and a few 80~92 and 80~120 swaps. a pack of three metal cutting blades runs like 2.50 at home depot here

Mark Larson said:
I can do two 80mm holes with one normal (non-fiberglass reinforced) wheel. You guys need to learn not to use too much pressure.
Or just not use a dremel,:rolleyes: IMO A dremel sucks for making holes. I'm sure I could make a 120mm hole in less then half the time it takes a dremel. When not using (in your words) "to much pressure".

If you're asking how many wheels you need you've never done it before.

Factor in NO LESS than double what it should take.

Trust me... You'll break the first few. If nothing else, you have extras in reserve for other projects

a hole saw is king for fan holes, but if you must, practice first.... its not as easy as you think to make a perfectly round hole with a dremel, and it takes patients, and lots of it. Key is to go slow and let the dremel do the cutting itself, don;t force it, that only wears the wheels off faster and gains nothing. My first 2 attemps took 2 wheels to do an 80mm hole, but now I can start with a new one and still have almost half of it left by the time its done. But seeeing as this is your first time, you might want to get another pack of wheels or invest in a hole saw.... YOU WON'T REGRET IT! they are not very expensive and make holes like nothing else.

Oh... and dremels don't suck for making holes. A steady hand with a dremel will ALWAYS produce a nicer result than a holesaw or a jig/band saw.

I don't use dremel's. It's a time thing. Then again I have access to other tools and I know how to properly use them.

I roll my eyes at you sir...
:rolleyes:

schismspeak said:
Or just not use a dremel,:rolleyes: IMO A dremel sucks for making holes. I'm sure I could make a 120mm hole in less then half the time it takes a dremel. When not using (in your words) "to much pressure".
Maybe you are a bighearted fellow who would like to send me another tool, like a holesaw or a punch? :rolleyes:
A dremel is cheap, multi-functional and easy to use. Maybe you can afford an air compressor and tools to go with it, but some of us don't want to.

Toysrme said:
A steady hand with a dremel will ALWAYS produce a nicer result than a holesaw

Have you seen the results on a hole made with a holesaw done properly, in a drill press, with cutting oil and a nice sharp saw? It makes a perfect cut, no jagged edges or anything.... how could a dremel possible do better? I mean, it looks like the hole was cast there, no machining makes whatsoever.

JDXNC said:
Have you seen the results on a hole made with a holesaw done properly, in a drill press, with cutting oil and a nice sharp saw? It makes a perfect cut, no jagged edges or anything.... how could a dremel possible do better? I mean, it looks like the hole was cast there, no machining makes whatsoever.

Or you could spend even more money and get a hole punch for better results.

I vote for the hole saw. But, if you've already ordered the wheels, I can offer some advise. As mentioned before, don't use too much pressure. Also, you don't want to cut straight through the metal. Just keep cutting into it enought to put a groove into the panel. Keep doing this till the wheel finally cuts through on it's own. You should only need 1-2 re-enforced wheels for an 80mm hole, if it's your first time. You'll probably go through less once you figure out the feel of the dremel.

..and if you value your eyes, wear safety glasses/goggles.

I sure as hell have seen them.

Have you ever seen the results of 90% of the hole saws out there?

It's nearly always got an uneven cut because the damned things never line up well untill you spend money on one.

It's fairly obvious if he's never used a dremel, he'll not have much access to anything else. Atleast not for the same price as a pack of wheels cost...

Guess I'm the only one that though of that. Yeah man, why don't you send him a hole saw a drill press?

Back