• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI 745 Ultra users: Where's your temp at?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

breez

My friend has XP2000+ Palomino on this board. Previously it was cooled with Glacialtech Igloo 2320 cooler. 15 mins of CPUBurn and CPU temp was at 77C! That was with the heatsink lapped. He has three 80mm fans at 5V (for silence). Now we bought Glacialtech Igloo Silent Breeze which has been praised on a Finnish OC/Hardware board for it's good price/quietness/cooling ratio. Now with this cooler we get 72C with CPUBurn. Still much! I wonder if this board has differently calibrated hardware monitoring compared to other boards? 745 Ultra users, post your high temps, processor used and cooling used.

Many of the hardware monitoring applications do not report the 745 Ultra's temps and voltages correctly. I have yet to find one that will give me anything close to the BIOS readings as far as voltages go. Both PCAlert (software from MSI on the CD) and Sandra seem to give temps that match up with the BIOS Health readings.

With my XP1600 Palomino running at 1806 (10.5 X 172), 1.85vcore, I got temps in the 44-45C range when running CPUBurn. While folding and surfing it ran around 42C. This is with a SLK-800 and a panflo H fan, ambient temps around 24C. My XP2100 Tbred B runs about 1C cooler at the same voltage (with a panaflo U fan and the SLK).

PS, the 745U reads from a thermistor in the socket and so should be counted on to read 10-12 degrees C below actual temps.

Then there's something seriously wrong with the temps as 75-80C from socket thermistor is too high! And stable!

Today I checked bios idle temps. We waited a while and it was like 40C and maybe rising (the comp was turned off for about 30min before that). In windows, idle temps were first at 49C (MBM5) and rose to about 52C. There were background apps, but no folding or anything like that. Funny thing is that MSI PC Alert 4 showed 3-4C higher temps :rolleyes:

I was going to flash to the newest bios version, but we couldn't find any functional disks :p I will take few of my own disks tomorrow and flash it...

Hmm, I have a external thermistor device. I should try to put it near core and see how's the temps....

Today I checked bios idle temps. We waited a while and it was like 40C and maybe rising
The highest idle temps I ever saw in my BIOS was in the mid 30's, even with 1.9 vcore.

You may not have enough airflow through the case, try taking the side of the case off and pointing a desk fan at the mobo. You can also try reseating the heatsink.

Back