• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Handling Heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stan03

Is there any particular way to handle a heatsink? whould you avoid touching the coppper fins (SLK) at all costs? Where should you hold it? thanks. By the way is there any way for me to tell if i got the 900U? it looks kinda small.

Thanks

I've never heard of any proper way to hold it, I would just avoid touching the area that touches the cpu. Before you apply it you should rub the bottom with some rubbing alcohol.

What Ben said. As for telling if it's a 900U, it should say on the box. Thermalright is pretty good about having the correct HS in its corresponding box.

Don't worry about touching the fins (as long as you don't bend them). The bottom of the SLK is what you should avoid touching, as the oils and skin on your hands won't let heat transfer as well as it could.

Yea, one of my fins came bent and it was a pain to bend it back without scratching it all up.

You really have to push hard to bend, and make it stay in the best position.

A quick way of telling the 900U from the 800U is by test-fitting a 80mm case fan on the heatsink. On an 900U, the fan will go on the middle of the three fan levels, while on the 800U, the fan will go on the top set of ridges.

Back