• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1U Cooler On Ti4200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Take off the present cooler on the GF5 and put the new one on.

Unless the cooler you bought isn't for a GF4.

Welcome To The Forums!!!!!

.....and to the addiction:eek:

You can attach an IU cooler to the GPU with Thermal Adhesive or you can drill holes to the base of it, either 4 bolt or 2 bolt pattern since the GF4 supports both, & tap them so you can use screws with springs or hard mounting it.

Thermal Adhesive like Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive can be weakened by mixing 1 part adhesive to 1 part thermal compound by weight. This will allow you to remove the IU cooler in the future if you need to do so.

Well, I've seen rubber bands... Haha..

When bolting it on though, you may want to put some tape on the washers and bolts, just to make sure you don't short everything out.

And Kdog, a 1U cooler is a heatsink used for a CPU in a rack server case (very small height wise).

I would recomend getting some Artic Silver thermal epoxy and glueing it on. It works very well to hold a heatsink on and it conducts heat well.

Thank You,
Daniel

when you decide to do it, let me know how hard it is as I am considering something of the sort also.. Thanks

Take off the old heatsink... line up the 1U HS on the GPU exactly how you want it. Clamp it down with some semi-sturdy clamps or just rubberbands. Flip it over and stick a black sharpie through the 2 mounting holes that your previous GPU cooler occupied. Take the HS off and drill some holes through the bottom of it, at the marks =p. Afterwards, you may need to grind down the new holes to make them flat, in case some shavings popped up. If that's the case... you'll also need to re-lap the bottom of it, which wouldn't hurt ANYWAYS. Lap, lap, lap... smile at your nice and shiny heatsink bottom.

Thermal grease or epoxy... whichever. Apply a nice thin layer on the old GPU and mount your new HS through the holes. Use rubber or plastic washers if you are mounting them with metal bolts.

I've seen lots of people use clamps, rubber bands, epoxy or even twist ties... but IMHO, nothing looks cleaner than a pair of nice looking bolts.

vonkaar said:
Take off the old heatsink... line up the 1U HS on the GPU exactly how you want it. Clamp it down with some semi-sturdy clamps or just rubberbands. Flip it over and stick a black sharpie through the 2 mounting holes that your previous GPU cooler occupied. Take the HS off and drill some holes through the bottom of it, at the marks =p. Afterwards, you may need to grind down the new holes to make them flat, in case some shavings popped up. If that's the case... you'll also need to re-lap the bottom of it, which wouldn't hurt ANYWAYS. Lap, lap, lap... smile at your nice and shiny heatsink bottom.

Thermal grease or epoxy... whichever. Apply a nice thin layer on the old GPU and mount your new HS through the holes. Use rubber or plastic washers if you are mounting them with metal bolts.

I've seen lots of people use clamps, rubber bands, epoxy or even twist ties... but IMHO, nothing looks cleaner than a pair of nice looking bolts.

do know of any places where i can get some small plastic washers and metal screws and bolts?

Home Depot, Fry's, Lowe's... any hardware store really.
Online... just do a search. Mcmastercarr would definitely have them, but that may be overkill. Just google online hardware stores and you'll be fine.

This is how i did it
close-up.gif

whole.gif

No need to go fancy with that 'fan screw assembly'... just get some semi long bolts with matching screws. Springs if you want em =p

Hey Crism, and welcome to the forums!

As I am planning on doing exactly the same with my ti-4400, you may want to keep an eye on the Nvidia forum, where I have a tiny thread going.

I'll most definitely be going for a 1U smartcooler, drill four holes in it, and AS3 it.

The local eletrical store and tool-sheds have loads of suggestions on how to do it, and I may have found some plastic clamps that will do perfect, just like the ones fitted on many Northbridges.

If you're patient, I'll keep you posted on the progress

Cheers, Flix

That new iceburg pre made video chip cooler is made from solid copper. It will mount easily to your gf. I don't know what your overclocking goal is, but that would be a bit cooler than any stock al heatsink. Check svc. That said, are you thinking al or copper heatsink? There is a big difference in weight to contend with.

The bolts in the link that are used for fans are slightly too big. I used those and had to drill out the brass lined holes in my Ti4600. That was okay because I only had to drill out some of the brass, not any of the pcb. But if you get bolts one size thinner, they would be perfect. And I used rubber 0-rings on the back of the card to protect the pcb.
Here's my last one. I'm going to use the same $5. SVC GC-68 on my softmodded 9500. The cooler takes an 80mm fan which is nice.
Ti4600coolerthumb.jpg

Ti4600thumb.jpg

Back