• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

instead of a RMA.. why not

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NoKtEm

instead of a RMA, why not buy something and return the item? isn't it essentially the same as getting a "Repair" of a defective product? it's not dishonest or anything... and less wait time, or is there a catch i'm not seeing here

I dont get it... Ya mean Return the product to the store?

If purchsed localy and within store poilicy, i guess ya could. But when ya go online its a different story. They wont accept products back without a RMA

I'm *really* confused on this one...

I purchase a defective avacado for $10.
So... I go get a working Orange for $10 and then return it? Or return the avacado? Wouldn't they notice when they open the Orange box and they see a dead Avacado? Or is it a 'credit' sort of thing... return the Avacado for credit and get a free Orange?

Or did you mean buy the Avacado and try and return it after it's defective? See Clash's answer.

Catch? Other than the obvious? What am I missing here?

lol ok sorry i was in a hurry, let me rephrase

ok lets say you buy a motherboard, and it is defective. Usually the RMA process requires you to send in the board first, they then analyze the board, they then send you a new one. This process takes quite awhile... a couple extra days of waiting impatiently by your motherboardless computer. Instead, isn't it a better idea to buy a new motherboard from the vendor, and return the product as a refund? then they would cross ship it to you and you would get it in 2 or 3 days.

Yeah, except that A) you would most likely end up paying a restocking fee B) if you tell them it's not defective, they'll most likely end up selling it refurb (a la New Egg) and then some poor sucker gets it and gets screwed over with a restocking fee or whatever.

well I mean telling them it's defective of course.. so then you wouldn't have to pay restocking fee because well.. it is defective

I just did this with Googlegear.

I ordered a P4P800 and when I flashed the bios, the bios chip died. I called them and they told me to RMA it and then buy a new board. I asked if I can upgrade to the deluxe and they said sure, as long as what I got was equivelent or better. They put a note in the RMA stating what I did and after they test the board, they'll refund me for the board.

Got the new board, flashed the bios and everything worked out great.

-Bobby

oh good, because this seems like such a more efficient way to RMA a board

There are a lot of things that have to fall into place before this will work, e.g., the serial number has to be the same, the vendor's refund policy isn't store credit, the product you're returning is really defective (and not a problem with compatibility), etc.

There's a high risk you'll run into nightmares. Imagine the vendor found out that the serial numbers are different. They'll cut off communication with you because they think you're trying to cheat them.

For me, I rather wait a few more days for the RMA than to risk running into crap. It's a double-edge sword here.

You have to keep in mind that vendors have ways to detect whether a swap was done. Some buyers abuse the system by swapping an old product for a new one. So even though you're just trying to save time, the vendor might think you're trying to cheat.

NoKtEm said:
not swapping, I mean cross shipping

Oh, I think I know what you mean. Instead of RMAing the defective product, you return the product. Then place another order for a new product. So what you're really doing is returning the defective product and buying a new one at the same time.

In that case, I guess it should work. ;)

I'll probably make sure I read everything in the returns policy first, just in case the vendor only does store credit refunds. I'll also make sure there are no restocking fees for defective items.

Something like that is what they should have done for me. I bought a new board at googlegear and received a used board. I had to RMA it when I should have been able to just return the board and buy a new one again (still wanted same board). RMA typically takes quite a while.

Back