• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Impossible?....Maybe, Maybe Not

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sumwut_damaged

Registered
I just picked up a Thermaltake Volcano 11......it dropped my temps from 42C Load to 36C.....but.....my system temp went way up from not having that 92mm fan blowing in, so i put it back so now i have the 92mm fan stacked on top of the fan that came with the H/S.....but my system temps are still 38C. I also have another 80mm fan blowing in from the front, another fan on the door, and a exhaust fan at the top......I could use some suggestions on how to bring the system temps.

Last edited:
Move more air into and out of the case, that new heatsink is dropping more heat that the other one wasn't.

Put the 92mm in the front in place of the 80mm, or put the 92mm on the floor of the case angling up towards the vid card/cpu region for added turbulence.

I just hit 145 FSB with this setup......so far so good.....didnt lock up using Toast.......proly gonna leave it over night just to be sure its stable with prime 95....or Sandra

Edit:....Just Hit 146, holding at Windows OK so far, running Seti

Last edited:
Nope, It's not unlocked........i just did wut Acid said and put the 92mm on the floor of the case and used sum small tools i had to hold it up to get better airflow.....now its stabalized at 37C CPU and 38 System.....oh and still at 146FSB

paly 2100+ is almost imposible to unlock, the other palys unlock with ease

i'm guessing you can go up to 148fsb max, prove me wrong :p

Just hit 147.....and holding......(then again it is 1am, and my comp is next to a window with the fans facing the window,) but still....147!!! never could hit that in the winter with my Zalman

S***!!!.....just Locked up at 147 FSB........MUST GET COOLER!!!.....BTW can sum 1 tell me wut the Termination Voltage setting does in the BIOS....its got 3 options 1.9, 1.7, Auto....sum1 please explain wut it does

Last edited:
u cant have the CPU at a lower temp than the case, the CPU is only as cool as the air around it, in ure case 38c, so ure CPU cannot be at 36c, physically impossible with aircooling

AcEmAsTr said:
u cant have the CPU at a lower temp than the case, the CPU is only as cool as the air around it, in ure case 38c, so ure CPU cannot be at 36c, physically impossible with aircooling

Unless ducting or running with the case open ;)

Temp readings are not known for reliable accuracy anyway, just a guideline.

The system sensor may be located next to/inside some components that are creating a lot of heat themselves but not getting much cooling airflow: pointing a fan directly at a section of the mobo and leaving it there for a while and repeating may help find that sensor and cool off those hot components.
But it may not!
I had an MSI K7T266 Pro that always read high system temps and I tried everything in the book.....and maybe a few more.

I would try to lower the system temp reading though, as it can help to get higher overclocks too: all components will run better when they are cooler and the cpu hsf will have cooler air to work with too.

Unless you want to mod your case I would say you should look into some high CFM case fans. Right now I am using Sunon's and they keep may case about 7 degrees (F) higher than room temperature. You may also consider if you have the right fans blowing and the right fans sucking. Generally it is better to have more exhaust power than intake.

Thank You,
Daniel

Yea I have the CPU fan ducted through the door......so it could be as cool as it is outside

BTW....Thanks For All The Info And Help

Last edited:
Back