• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SK-7 Cooling Capability

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrbucket

I'm a rather timid overclocker and I was wondering what the maximum cooling ability for an SK-7 is? I'm trying to build a budget rig and was wondering if it would suffice for an xp-2600+?
Thanks.

well timmyqwest(check his threads on this forum) has done quite well with his sk7 but he does have an AC cooling his computer

according to the thermalright website this is what the sk7 supports:
AMD: Athlon XP Desktop CPU Thoroughbred 2200+ and higher
Intel: P-III 1.33GHz and above; Celeron 1.3GHz and above

it only suports these fans though: 60mm, 70mm and 74mm (TMD) fans

can't put an 80mm fan on there :/

i'd say if you lap it and put a high cfm/loud fan on their it will keep you pretty damn cool

Using and SLK-7 on that would probably be one the high range for that cooler. You way want to look into Swiftech coolers.

Thank You,
Daniel

Your CPU will be fine with an SK-7. Don't let arabarabian fool you. The SK-7 is one of the better coolers on the market. I have no problem running a 2100+ at 2.3 GHz @ something like 1.8v I think and keeping it cool.

When it was time for my purchase of a new H/S i looked at the slk7 and at the slk-800 and i saw very little difference, fin count being the first. Based on the fact that without a fan one cost $40 and the other cost $20...I went with the skl-7. Matched with an 80mm vantec tornado temps were pretty darn good before i got to "modding".

Under load at 1.85v i was at around 43-44C

Then i lapped it temps dropped 6 degrees.

Then, i got to the fun part. And i dont know if htis can be a "plus" for the heatsink but...i've been running p95 for 20 min's at 1.95v and i'm at 28c

I ducted my A/C into the case...but the point is that i spent around $35 for my HSF and i have these temps...o yea baby

Back