• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ThermalRight SK-6+ and TMD fan??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fuzzywuzzy

Registered
Wondering if anyone here has mated the ThermalRight SK-6+ with a 70mm TMD fan. I have questions regarding the adapter.

svcompucycle_1744_3757717

link here....

I'm interested in the overall HEIGHT of this combo. The SK-6+ is supposed to be 33mm, and the TMD fan 16mm... How thick is that adapter?

I am running a Slotket thing, and have MAX ~54mm of room to smack something on a 1.4Ghz Celeron.

Would the TMD fan be sufficient cooling over stock HSF? Not overclockerd CPU. I'm finding the stock HSF with stock thermal pad to be insufficient.

(NOTE: I'd search these forums, but searching doesn't allow 3 character searches :( 'SK-6+' or 'tmd')

Last edited:
The thickness of the adapter plate is minimal, about 1mm, so it should not affect overall height greatly. I have used one of these setups for a few months now, replaced a 26cfm 60mm Sunon with the 30cfm TMD, lower temps and a little quieter, this is a great combo for the money.

I have used the same set-up...Still have 3 SK-6+'s from SVC and four TMD's from Nexfan...Nice Heat Sink Fan combination for 20.00...:D

Are you kidding me? I loaded up that picture in PaintShop, and through ratios, I determined that black adapter to be roughly 9mm!

So:
heatsink + adapter + fan
= 33mm + 9mm + 16mm
= 58mm

Roughly 5mm too high :( That means either I don't use that combo, or I lose a RAM slot.... All banks are full :(

Can anyone confirm the height? I've mailed a local reseller and ThermalRight, no response :(

lyle said:
The thickness of the adapter plate is minimal, about 1mm, so it should not affect overall height greatly. I have used one of these setups for a few months now, replaced a 26cfm 60mm Sunon with the 30cfm TMD, lower temps and a little quieter, this is a great combo for the money.

You could try to run it without the adapter, and use copper wire to hold the fan on instead. A little ghetto, but that would take off 9mm right there. You could also use this fan, slthough it'll be a little louder and have a little less airflow than the TMD.

It isn't 9mm that would add height to the overall sink.

The part is roughly 9mm is an overhang. Its not thick.

The part is roughly 9mm is an overhang. Its not thick.

CORRECT!

Look very closely at the pic you posted. You can see the top of the fins through the slot on the top edge where the cutout for the mounting wire is located. You telling me that it's 9mm from the top of the fins to the bottom of the fan? Not in this world. Maybe PaintShop tells you that the overall height is 9mm, but you have to tell it EXACTLY what you want to measure.

New math: 33+1+16=50=3mm to spare

Go for it!

You guys are great :D

I bought the SK-6+, and the TMD fan (36CFM), but they did not have the hood in stock (the Cdn distributor)...

I had a friend help me do it ghetto style, and used some insulated wires to hold the TMD fan to the heatsink... With some AS3 on the Celeron, it's purring away now :)

I just need to work in the AS3 for 72hrs or so.... I have no idea about CPU temps lowering or not since I don't have CPU temp monitoring, but will do the finger test :) So far, that TMD fan is pushing out ALOT more air! Air is going in all directions with this setup...

I just have to wait for that TMD adapter...... Thanks guys for the input!

I ended up having something like....3-4mm space left! :)

I wonder how the probe on that mobo works. You can possibly get accurate temps from MBM5.

What case only allows 53mm?

I have a couple of SK-6+ comming to cool a dual 800 pIII so glad to hear they work well.

To answer your questions....

- The Asus P2B-F mobo is from the Pentium 3 era... The onboard temp monitor is only for mobo temps... No CPU temps.

- What friggen mobo/case limits 53mm for a fan? A mobo specifically made for Slot 1 (P3) CPUs, but with an adapter to accept an S370 Celeron :) Thus, the CPU/HSF is mounted 90 degrees from the motherboard, facing the RAM slots... Any HSF taller than 54mm will block my first RAM slot.

http://821mark.50megs.com/fanposition.html for a glimpse into what I have to deal with....

Mr. $T$ said:
What case only allows 53mm?

I have a couple of SK-6+ comming to cool a dual 800 pIII so glad to hear they work well.

Ok I see, looks like you have enough cleacence,

Funny I did the same to my ide cables too :p

Back