• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vaccume Cleaner Case Cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

efreet_69

I have a Eureka vaccume cleaner motor that moves alot of air. When I riped the vaccume apart it even had mounting brackets that I could use with my case. When its outside of the vaccume it makes alot of noise any ideas?

Is it 110v ? You could build a ducting system to pull air at Tim Allen speeds through the front. I'm sure that thing is loud as hell though... would you *really* want to hear that all day?

Yes it would be very loud. You would have to watch where it blew the exhaust air becuase it uses the air to cool it off so that air is pretty hot. If you had it suck air from the CPU via ducting it would probably work well. You would probably want to stay away from microfin heatsinks and turn toward pin heatsinks such as an Alpha or Swiftech. Seems like a good idea.

Thank You,
Daniel

From what I've heard, vacuum cleaners can build up a lot of static electricity, that's why it's not recommended to clean your case with one due to the fact you may fry something. If the cleaner was outside just sucking air, it should be okay, if mounted inside I'd be a bit wary of it.

You could mod the vacuum engine with a slide for speed control.

But jesus, remember, it IS a vacuum cleaner, made for gathering dust. At those speeds your cabinet is likely to turn into a furball quite fast :)

I'd add filters to any crack in your case... and make sure those ram-modules are in there tight :D

Cheers, Flix

I was thinking of making a box insulateing it with spray foam or styrofoam for sound. Connecting the the case to the box via a air duct and hose. The filters, static, and noise stay with the box and only air moves to the case. I'm still trying to figure out if air going in or out is the best bet.

Another prob is the how much air is being pumped. Since it runs staight from the wall outlet, I can't control the speed of it. Someone told me to use a "step down transformer". He said it might not even push it at any other voltage than 110.

Back