• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flow rate vs RPM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tutrinh

any relationship between them????
Higher flow rate but lower RPM . I have 2 fan in mind. Which one you think is better

89CFM, 2200RPM very quiet or
90CFM, 3000RPM louder than the above.

If the difference is only 1 CFM I would definately go for the fan with lower rpm as it's more quiet than the other one..

There is always going to be some relation between CFM and RPM. The chances are the the one that spins slower has a different pitch on the fan blades so therefore making it push more air but requiring more energy.

Thank You,
Daniel

More RPM = more energy which could be going to sound, pitch, etc. and not only airflow as the poster above said. Energy is conserved between it all though :(

Who knows, one of the fans might be overspecified.

Or, might not be so good for pushing air when it hits a restriction.

Paxmax said:
Or, might not be so good for pushing air when it hits a restriction.

Exactly. The flowrate spec on fans is just one part of the picture. You need to look at the flowrate vs backpressure curve of the fan to know what it can do when faced with backpressure.

gogetadbl said:
More RPM = more energy which could be going to sound, pitch, etc. and not only airflow as the poster above said. Energy is conserved between it all though :(

Well, air resistance varies with the SQUARE of the velocity, so a higer RPM fan with the same CFM will use more energy.

ya defintely go for the less rpm for basically the same CFM, i can deal with a low hum sound alot better than a high pitch tornado case

I just buy a 120mm fan , it is very quiet too me

I bought YS TECH 135CFM, 45db 4100RPM
My Sunon Ultra High Speed 50 CFM, 40db, 3900RPM is way louder than the YSTECH. When I hook them in the case together, all I hear is the Sunon fan spinning. Even though it rate 5db less than the YS, but seriously, it is LOUDER

Sorry let me clarify myself. What I was trying to say is that there are two ways to achieve a given CFM. One you can have the fan spin faster. Or two you can design the blades so that the push more air but require more energy to do so. But the faster the fans are spinning the more noise they generate at a higher pitch. Well I hope that cleared things up.

Thank You,
Daniel

tutrinh said:
I just buy a 120mm fan , it is very quiet too me

I bought YS TECH 135CFM, 45db 4100RPM

My Sunon Ultra High Speed 50 CFM, 40db, 3900RPM is way louder than the YSTECH.

When I hook them in the case together, all I hear is the Sunon fan spinning.

Even though it rate 5db less than the YS, but seriously, it is LOUDER

You just contradicted yourself.

anvil82 said:

You just contradicted yourself.

I didn't know until I bought a YS TECH today and test it out. In my mind, I thought it will definitely LOUDER than my Sunon ( since its RPM and db is higher , so it must be louder ), but it is much QUIETER than the Sunon.

yeah as caffeinehog said, the 120mm is quieter because it has a lot lower pitch than the 80mm fan, the low pitch is like bass you dont really hear it very well but you will hear it more in the next room then the 80mm because lower frequency travels further.. correct me if im wrong

max

The flow rate - RPM correlation is direct, but about all you can gain is the pitch and blade legnth are more aggressive on the one that spins slower.

I'd get the slower one, less noise.

The faster any blade moves through the air the louder it will be. You go from sucking air in to ripping it in.

Actually that's a bad example, that dosen't happen for a *very* long time, but you get the point heh.

Back