• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

With an SK-7, does a 80mm to 92mm duct have significant decrease in temps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gogetadbl

Between getting a SLK 900 copper or a duct, which would you guys recommend?
At the moment, at stock speeds on a 2100+, my computer is idle at 35 and load at 40's with a SF2 blowing 60 CFM and 2x 120mm case fans.
The fan i'm using now is running at 60 CFM and the main reason I need a 92mm fan is for more CFM and quietness but looking all these 92mm fans, my smart fan II seems just as good as most of them and not worth the duct. SF2 running at 4000 RPM right now, so its ~60 CFM and ~40 DB (which is pretty loud for me). I'm confused about the decision whether a duct + 92mm will even help and if so, which one would have more cfm , yet quieter? Also for the duct, can the width be 38, or can it only be 25? PS. Links to the ducts would be nice please :)

A shroud might help. I get better temps on my CPU with the SFII running at full speed with a 12.5mm shroud(25mm fan housing cut in half) than I did with the 92mm tornado running at 3000RPM(somewhere around 75CFM).

EDIT:
This is with an SLK-800A. My max temps went from 52C to 46C.

Last edited:
Zoilo, is this a shroud as in a covering for the top part of the Heatsink or a shroud as in a small duct that sits between the heatsink and the fan so that the fan is actually sitting further from the Heatsink?

I've seen people refer to both as "shrouds" I'd like a little clarification on what you've done to improve your temps so much!

Lord_MiL said:
Zoilo, is this a shroud as in a covering for the top part of the Heatsink or a shroud as in a small duct that sits between the heatsink and the fan so that the fan is actually sitting further from the Heatsink?

I've seen people refer to both as "shrouds" I'd like a little clarification on what you've done to improve your temps so much!

I'm referring to the latter using a 25mm fan housing cut in half so it's a 12.5mm shroud.

TimmyQwest...........rriigghhtt

Zoilo, thanks for the clarification. I guess you can consider either a shroud and people refer to putting a shroud on and decreasing temps all the time and I'm never sure exactly what they are talking about. I still think when I finish getting the parts in for my next rig I'm gonna do a plastic duct from a fan mounted in the back of the case to the Heatsink. Should cut down on noise and allow me to use a 120 on an SK-7!

I think the real issue here is: How are you going to attach the duct? The SK-7 uses wire retention brackets designed for fans 25mm or 38mm thick. If you aren't seriously into modding, the SLK-900 will save you a LOT of effort and time.

Caffinehog said:
I think the real issue here is: How are you going to attach the duct? The SK-7 uses wire retention brackets designed for fans 25mm or 38mm thick. If you aren't seriously into modding, the SLK-900 will save you a LOT of effort and time.

Since the duct is going to the back of the case, there are several ways he can have it attached...plus, cardboard and duct tape are your friends! :)

Actually I think I'm going to make the duct out of thermoformable plastic. Assuming I don't screw up too bad, I should be able to shape the heat sink end so that it fits very snuggly down over the top of the heatsink. The other end I will flatten out then drill 4 holes into and screw directly to the fan housing.

I'm not 100% sure it's gonna work yet, but in a few weeks when i get all the stuff together, I'm gonna have a go at it!

Back