• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wow, what a diff

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

epauls

Well, I got my SLK 800a and installed it last night.
I have to admit that the previous cooler(HCC-01) was the 1st HS I have installed and I applied way too much AS3.
My old temps were:
@12.5x187=2337
42C idle and 48.5 C load

New temps are:
@13x166=2158
35.7 load
Haven't pushed it back up yet since I'm letting it break in. Don't have an idle temp cause it hasn't been idle :)

I have a Tt SF II for my fan and it is only at 2/3ish. Much quieter than the old HCC-01.
Heck the SF II is quieter at full speed than the HCC-01.

I then took the HCC-01 and put it in my 1.4ghz T-bird rig. With proper AC3 applied it droped almost 14C than what it was with stock HS & Fan. It is Oced to 1.5.

I then took a Volcano 6 and installed it on another T-bird rig and had similar results around 13C drop over stock HS.

What a difference it can make especially with proper application of AC3 :D
Maybe tonight I'll pump it back up and see what temps I get.

vonkaar said:
Try lapping it... might bring it down even furhter. Regardless, great improvement ^_^

You cant just "lap it"

you gotta know how to do it

if you do it wrong you'll only get worse temps

Well, I can't see myself getting more than 2400mhz out of this chip and even with that temps shouldn't get over low 40's at full load. I am happy with those temps so I'm thinking I'm done.
:D
Plus lapping is a little time/effort intensive....

well after seeing how well timmyqwest's sk7 performed after he lapped his i went and bought some 1500 and 2000 grit sandpaper and lapped my slk-800a and my temps dropped 1-2C

i can see my reflection in the base of the heatsink now :p

after arctic silver settles it should drop another 2-5C

timmyqwest said:

You cant just "lap it"

you gotta know how to do it

if you do it wrong you'll only get worse temps

By 'lap it' I wasn't inferring that he should stick it in a doggy bowel and lick it... I was referring to the tried and true methods that are well documented on these forums. Sorry if I confused you. It's like if I said "mount the heatsink". I'm assuming some prior knowledge of proper techniques, or at least the foresight to look it up before attempting it.

Anyways... I stand by my original statement... You could spend a few hours 'lapping the heatsink' and it may give you even better temperatures.

What are the temps in the room where you computer is at? I have an SLK-900 with and AMD 2100 Tbred B and had it at 166*13 like you and am getting load temps at 47C, much different from 35C. I also have a TT SF 2. Our mobos are different, as I have the EPoX 8rda+ and not the ASUS. Maybe I should try lapping. But you didn't say you lapped. Hmm.

No I did not lap it.
My room temps are from 70-73. Usually around 72. Don't forget my case has 7 fans not including the one on the PSU.
When my room is 71-72 I'm running 36Cish when it goes up to 73 my temp goes up to 38Cish Room temp seems to be a big factor. We left the door to the garage open one night, not sure how warm the room got but my temps went up to 40C.

I'm also at stock Vcore.
Finally got an idle temp, 27C.

Back