• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop cooling, thinking of uping cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dalamar

I purchased a mitac 7321 over a year ago (not the best laptop but at the time I got it for a pretty low dollar figure), it came with an athlon4 1.2gig. It supports a athlonxp-m 1800 200fsb.

I have always been pretty experienced in cooling when it came to desktops, but I haven't the foggiest in regard to laptops.

It has a fairly slim heatsink (1cm deep) with a blower fan attached at the one end to push air through the sink out the back of the case.
______
(o_|_ |_| --really bad mockup...but you get the idea, fan on left

I believe that cooling will definitely be an issue so a couple questions came to mind.

1. Where can I get a new thermo pad (as indicated necessary by mitac) for the processor.

2. Is there any site out there that actually sells more than the traditional laptop-stand with 3 fans in it (not particulary useful on
the go!) for laptop cooling?

3. How much more heat will a xp 1800 put out?

4. I can't seem to find a xp 1800 200fsb, will a 1900 200fsb clock back? (My bios is extremely!!! limited, makes me want to cry even)

Any and all help is appreciated!

-d-

As for upping a processor in a laptop, I don't think its really possible to just swap in a new processor the same way a desktop just can be removed and replaced.

I think it might just be a "get a new laptop" deal here.

From my experience the old Athlons run as hot or hotter than the XP's. So you maybe just fine to use that little heatsink. The heatsink is probably similar to a 1U. As for attaching a heatsink I would just use some Artic Silver adhesive. It works great and it has a similar amount, well 10% less than the Artic Silver, of silver.

Thank You,
Daniel

The processor is very easy to upgrade (have already taken it out).
The hard part is just finding an xp 1800-mobile 200fsb and somewhere to get at least a new heatspreader solution...

-d-

you don't need a new thermo pad, just some thermal compound (arctic silver). I think that your cooling should suffice, cause the old athlons do run awful hot compared to XP's. do you have a temp monitor? what are your temps now?

Currently I am not sure of my temps as my sensors always report the same temperature (aka not working at all).

In regard to the thermopad, I know normally they are idiotic to use, but I am not too aware of laptop cooling methods.

I know that the xp's ran cooler than the old t-birds but was not too sure about the new xp's and the ath4 mobile processors.

Just wish there was a store out there that actually sold some laptop related cooling gear. I mean a lot of these notebooks now a days pack quite a lot of power, surprised nobody is trying to tap into that market.

-d-

Back