• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

80mm to 120mm fan adapter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tutrinh

Hello Guys,
Give me some ideas.

I am using a Swiftech MCX4000 and 80mm Sunon Ultra High Speed fan ( 40db, 3900RPM, 50CFM ). I try to re-apply artic silver 3 or 4 times but the temperature seem to be the same or worse ( absolutely no better ). My idle is around 47c and full load around 65c using prime test and hot cpu tester. Today, I went out and bough a 120mm YSTech fan ( 45db, 4100RPM, 135CFM ) and I got idle temp of 45c and full loaded of 57c. I also re-apply the artic silver again with this YSTech.
1. Is the fan make the difference or the artic silver is making a difference. This time I apply a little thicker than the other time.

Here is my spec
I use abit IT7max2 v2 and 2.53ghz cpu overclocked to 3.61ghz

Hmmmm....it might be the arctic silver application IF the bas of your HS is not flat. Run your fingernail over the base and see if you feel any ridges of any sort. You can also try lapping the HS to get your temps down. How much your temps will decrease depends on how flat your HS already is. If you decide to lap your HS, use less AS in your application.

I don't know how to lap, and I am scared. This time I did apply thicker since my base is not shiny ( look very dull and I can see the line that CPU installer - hard to explain but you can know right away that CPU was install in that spot. It has the marks. )

Intrepid said:
over 1ghz overclock, what steping n wht cooling are you using?

I am using Swiftech MCX4000 aircool
SL6S2 is the stepping I think ( one of the very popular chip out ther )

Okay, dullness, does not tell you how flat it is. It's possible to have a flat, dull surface.
Lapping is relatively easy...even for the first time. All you have to do is basically lay sandpaper on a FLAT surface, and I emphasize FLAT. Most people use a sheet of glass or a mirror. Have a bucket of water with 1 drop or dishwashing liquid and wet the sandpaper with it. Set your HS down on the starting point and push it forward, doing your best to apply pressure evenly on each part of the HS. Then pick it up, set it back down at the starting point and repeat. NEVER rotate the HS. (One tip, before anything, make a squiggly line on the base of the HS with a permanent parker. This lets you know when you got every part of the base sanded evenly.) You can probably start at 400 grit and work your way up. Some people don't believe it's much benefit to go above 800 grit, and others believe that it's better to go up to 2000 grit and get that nice mirror shine. It's really up to you, but the higher you go, the less thermal compound you'll need between the core and the HS.

Having an adapter cone results in some backpressure, but the net effect is better.

Back