• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buidling first computer, looking for good fan to put on SLK-900

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tycho4511

Registered
What do you guys reccomend putting on my SLK-900? I going to be running a 1700+ DLT3C 319 with a NF7-S rev2.0.

It seems that the smart fan 2 is favored by most people here. That is what I am considering. The one question I have about the adustable fans is this: When I put it on the heatskink inside my computer how is it adustable?

I don't want/need the Tornado noise.

Thanks

There is a controller that mounts either on a slot bracket or you can mount it outside the case. It's just a small potentiometer that is connected to a 6-inch'ish pair of wires. You could have it stick outside your case and hang out if you wanted.

Actually, the SFII at full speed is nowhere near Tornado noise. However, the SFII comes with instructions for setting it up as adjustable. It has a temp sensor if you only want it to adjust according to temperatures, and like vonkaar said, it comes with a small knob that adjusts the temperatures. I have mine set for the last option, which is full speed 24/7. This fan is quiet compared to the Tornado.

Tornado's are the loudest by far.

Question for you guys. With one of those nifty fan speed controllers that you put in your 5.25 bay, can you control the speed of any fan, or does it have to have the smartfan feature? Thanks.

You can control any fan with a fan controller. All it does is change the power that goes to it. Most fan controllers, though use 3-pin connections.

go for teh smartfan, love the fact that it automatically adjusts it's rpms....

my rmps stay at around 3000, die temp @ 40C, they should drop 2-5C in about 2 weeks(arctic silver 3...)

I have the Smart Fan 2, but I think I may buy a 92mm Tornado. I actually think my Smart Fan 2 is quite at full speed. I guess I don't care about the noise because I always have loud music on or my headphones on. So if you don't mind the noise, go with a Tornado

Zoilo said:
Actually, the SFII at full speed is nowhere near Tornado noise.

This fan is quiet compared to the Tornado.

have you ever heard a tornado? i just got a tornado after about 4 months of using a smart fan 2. they're about the same in noise.

Huh Torch?
Sorry, but maybe the tornado you heard was modded or something the Tornado is much louder IMO when I have heard them. Course it could just be the tone/pitch is more annoying to me.

Thanks for the replies and advice. I will look at the enermax 92mm adustable and the Smart Fan2 and probably decide between those. Would the 92mm be a better choice? Tell me if I remember how fan size works. The larger fans can move more air at the same speed so they can be quiter?

tycho4511 said:
The larger fans can move more air at the same speed so they can be quiter?

thats about right, i dont know why ppl gets the slk900 and still use 80mm fans. Largeness isnt all, you also have to look at WIDENESS, and the 92mm tornado is the widest i know. Just stuck a fan controller on it and you have a silent and still powerful cooling solution

tycho4511 said:
Thanks for the replies and advice. I will look at the enermax 92mm adustable and the Smart Fan2 and probably decide between those. Would the 92mm be a better choice? Tell me if I remember how fan size works. The larger fans can move more air at the same speed so they can be quiter?

The 92mm Enermax adjustable fan specs.

Model No.
UC-9FAB
rpm 1800 2300 2800
Rated Voltage 12V 12V 12V
Rated Current 0.13A 0.20A 0.28A
Power Input 1.56W 2.4W 3.36W
Air Flow(max) 47.34CFM 52.25CFM 64.15CFM
Noise 28.0dB 32.6dB 34.3dB

SO hell yeah., 64 CFM's at 34db is nice and quiet, of course the Tornado can achieve higher CFM's but its noisy as hell :)

LINK TO THE 80, 92, and 120 Enermax Fans

Static pressure is definitely one to look at. I get better temps using a shrouded Smart Fan II than a 92mm Tornado. Yes I have heard it. The tornado is much, much louder than the SFII. I even had it turned down to 3000 RPM and it was still louder than the SFII at full speed. The SFII at full speed is about as high pitched as the tornado at full speed, but it's still quieter than the Tornado at 3000 RPM. Now that enermax fan is very interesting and you could consider it, but I doubt you will get as good of temps as a SFII at full speed.

hmmmm.... what's the max rpm on the 80mm tornado? i have it hooked up to a hardcano 9....maybe it's not giving it all 12 volts at full speed....

maybe the tornado is louder, however i find the pitch a little lower so it seems about the same.

Back