• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Googlegear Shipped Used Mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

penetrecion

I recently purchased a 'retail' mobo from Googlegear and their shipping is nice and quick (Free 2 Day Air) but I got the board, opened the box to find a used product!

Tha manual was all mangled, there was a USB cable missing, and I could see chips out of the HSF clips on the socket! Someone had used the board... and had damaged it to boot!

They did call me on the phone the next day after I emailed them about it... so that was a plus.

BUT!

I had to RMA the board! No exchange or return... RMA! The guy claimed they would refund me up to $7.00 for return shipping (don't know if they have or not, yet) but RMA?

They seem like a good vendor but I am not sure I will buy anything from them anymore... this was my first purchase from them, too.

Oh well.

I never ordered from Googlegear before, so I can't comment on them. However, I ran into a similar situation before with other vendors. The mobo you have is probably not used; it's probably a returned product. Bad vendors will try to put them out again as "new," while the good ones will sell them as "refurbs."

penetrecion said:
I had to RMA the board! No exchange or return... RMA! The guy claimed they would refund me up to $7.00 for return shipping (don't know if they have or not, yet) but RMA?
That makes perfect sense to me. You ordered a new, retail board, the one you got was damaged, so they're replacing it.

They aren't making this decision believing you that it's a used board, they're making it believing that it is in some way deficient enough to not be new for you.

Standard business practice. I don't see how they're at fault.

It may be standard business practice but my comment was that they could use a different approach... I contacted them the same day I received the product (like within an hour, I had to use a friend's PC to email them).

They ARE AT FAULT for selling me a USED motherboard... nothing came sealed it was all open and parts were missing and the board WAS DAMAGED! Whether or not it was a reseller whom they used to send me out a board or not... Googlegear is the company I purchased from and PAID, sooooo, they are at fault. Period.

Anyway, I received the new board today and it is a genuine, honest to goodness brand new board, just like I paid for. I may consider buying from them again and disregard this whole incident, but, we'll see. So far I have better luck with other businesses.

*edit*

Oh yeah, no reimbursement for my shipping as of yet... guess I will have to hound them about it. The guy told me on the phone they would.

penetrecion said:
It may be standard business practice but my comment was that they could use a different approach... I contacted them the same day I received the product (like within an hour, I had to use a friend's PC to email them).

They ARE AT FAULT for selling me a USED motherboard... nothing came sealed it was all open and parts were missing and the board WAS DAMAGED! Whether or not it was a reseller whom they used to send me out a board or not... Googlegear is the company I purchased from and PAID, sooooo, they are at fault. Period.

Anyway, I received the new board today and it is a genuine, honest to goodness brand new board, just like I paid for. I may consider buying from them again and disregard this whole incident, but, we'll see. So far I have better luck with other businesses.

*edit*

Oh yeah, no reimbursement for my shipping as of yet... guess I will have to hound them about it. The guy told me on the phone they would.
It may not be their fault, maybe the manfuacture sent that to them like that.
And then could have just said "well we sent you a new board and you must have done that so we will not refund anything, you probly broke it so why should we eat the cost?"

But they didn't they even offered to pay you up to $7 of your return shipping. Most online shops will make you pay return shipping and then shipping back out to you. Seems like they did their job to me.

No the board came directly from someone afilliated with googlegear... they placed an inspected by stamp on my receipt and checked off the product and had kinda like a signature on it.

This came from them folks, not the manufacturer. I have bought tons of boards and I know how they get shipped for the most part. This was a return I would imagine, someone used it, didn't like it or it was defective and sent it back, missing parts and completely opened. How else are you gonna break chips off the clips on the socket? By using it, that's how.

I don't dislike Googlegear, get this straight people... I was stating the facts and nothing but the facts. I was surprised but crap happens, even to good companies and people. I was simply saying that I don't like to have to RMA the board when I could have returned it and bought another one.

The mentality here seems to be like the customer is at fault... ALWAYS... well there was a time when the CUSTOMER WAS ALWAYS RIGHT AND COMPANIES WOULD BEND OVER BACKWARDS TO MAKE SURE THE CUSTOMERS, WHO ARE LINING THEIR POCKETS WITH MONEY, WERE HAPPY.

This is part of what is wrong with this country. People believe that the companies have a right to put the consumers throught the ringer. WRONG.

This is because of all the idiots that purposly rip off the vendors. Vendors are getting tired of it. Consumers brought this mentality on themselves. I ran an online store and did Tech Support for another. I know first had what MANY customers try to pull. It's not just a few either!

RMA is a normal way to return anything. RMA is just a way for the vendor to keep track of incoming merchandise. Don't know why you were upset about the RMA. You would have had to RMA no matter what the return circumstances were.

As for the return shipping. I agree, they should reimburse you for it. But, be happy, many retailers would not have reimbursed you for the reasons I stated above.

I'm sure they didn't do it on purpose. Googlegear is a class act. I'm sure it was just a mistake. However, look at it from their side. You could have just as easily put a board you had in there just to try and get a new replacement.

True, skip, I just thought it was an odd transaction to have to go through RMA... but such is the way. I would have preffered cross shipping or simply return and purchase another. Anything other than RMA. The whole reason I bought from them in the first place was to get free 2nd day air delivery (so much for that)... I could have bought the product elsewhere and paid less but had to wait a couple days longer but due to their screw-up, I ended up waiting over a week and a half.

I used to work for Sears a few years back, in the computer/phone dept., and the motto was it didn't matter if the customer is trying to pull a fast one or not... unless you KNEW FER SURE. Sears has since changed many policies (they were changing them when I worked there) and are no longer the company they used to be.

I did everything in my power to make a customer happy... sold 19 inch monitors for the price of 17 inch, gave all kinds of discounts like that and I had people coming back and buying more stuff (for regular price) just because I treated them well. Sears was known for this type of behavior and it was what got the company to where it is now. Since the old man died and there is no one left from the old school of thought their quality has gone down and they are pretty much like any other company...

I am in the process of renovating my house to sell and will be moving to Arizona, hopefully before the year is out, and will be opening a business of my own (have been building and upgrading computers for quite some time now). I for one will do whatever it takes to have a happy customer, even if it means I upgrade their computer for next to nothing and I lose a few bucks.

People seem to forget that businesses have A LOT of writeoffs (if you own a business you should know this but if you don't you better start doing some research) and losing a few dollars here and there will not adversely affect you. Don't act like the poor million dollar companies are being hurt by several dozen people who try to pull a fast one over them. They make more than enough money to continue. It's the consumers who get the shaft... in every aspect.

Come to think of it, maybe I shoulda posted this in the Gripes and Moans... it's kinda turning out to be one... ;>{ )

I know all about write-offs. However, you can only show a loss for a certain amount of time and constantly giving things away turn into no monthly income...

As for your Sears analogy. It's easier to be that way when you are a Billion Dollar company. These smaller online vendors do not have the working capital that a business like Sears does. Believe me, most are NOT Multi-Million dollar companies.

I'm not faulting you at all for your gripe. I would be ticked off myself. With a little care, something like that should never happen. You deserved to have the wrong that was done to you righted. Personally, I would have cross shipped. I was just reponding to your post:

The mentality here seems to be like the customer is at fault... ALWAYS... well there was a time when the CUSTOMER WAS ALWAYS RIGHT AND COMPANIES WOULD BEND OVER BACKWARDS TO MAKE SURE THE CUSTOMERS, WHO ARE LINING THEIR POCKETS WITH MONEY, WERE HAPPY.

This is part of what is wrong with this country. People believe that the companies have a right to put the consumers throught the ringer. WRONG.

Was just pointing out why this is so. Believe me, when you start your business. You'll find out what it's really like. I've been involved with online retailing for about 5 years now. Online retailing is much worse then face to face retailing. You may not see some of what goes on.

This is true about online vending... I am not planning to go too far into that aspect for my business, I would rather do the face to face transactions the way I do now.

Back