• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Side panel fans: suck air IN or blow air OUT?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My case came with a fan that blows air out of the case. Works good.

EDIT: I mean fan on the side that blows air out.

Suck cold air in. The idea is to get the coldest air directly where you need it.

i'd say put it in so that it blows air onto your video card

i'd try to position it so that it blows air onto the video card and nb heatsink

imho, it would be best to put an INTAKE fan blowing onto ur mobo, but not right on the cpu, and have it as close to the other components that need to be cooled as possible. i cant see your pics, but from what u said, you have 4 fans.

i say 1 at the bottom INTAKE, focusing as much as possible on mobo + vid card (if possible), 1 on side INTAKE (as mentioned above), and 1 at the top, EXHAUST; hot air's gonna be rising so u might as well have a blow-hole at the top :)

hope this helps.

Once again I need to post my favorite word when it comes to airflow:
Experiment!

A tip: make a temporary side panel with cardboard. You can find the optimum locations without screwing up your case; and then you have a nice template for laying out your cuts as well :)

As said by many, most side fans are intakes but I have seen more than a few people that got good results with side exhaust as well.

Keeping total airflow close to balanced usually works best, but this also has exceptions.

Cardboard and duct tape are your friends.

my question is......do you really need all these fans? your system is probably fine with one exhaust fan and if you wanted to be crazy, one intake fan.

I'd add one fan in the only spot you didn't put one. A 92mm fan in the lower right of the case door would add a lot of pressure to the rest of the case. Perhaps use a 90degree angle duct to direct it rearward but it should not be needed if you block the front grill (is that a plastic thing a fan?)

I just experimented with mine.
I have 120 mm in front bottom blowing over my 2 hard drives as an Intake
I have and exhaust on the top back below the P.S. blowing air out.
The P.S. has an intake on the bottom and and outlet on the top back.

If I turn the back exhaust and make it an intake, so now there are 2 intakes and no exhaust-(P.S. only) positive pressure in the case --- the CPU die temp rises 3 degrees C.
SO for this system it is better to have one intake at the lower front and one exhaust at the top back which is pulling cool air over the CPU cooler essentially.

2 cents does not make a dollar!

As far as the fan in the side panel goes, experimentation is the only way to go.

On my family's rig, I turned the stock side output fan around to make it an intake and system temps dropped a few degrees. However, I was building a friend's PC and decided to try it both ways and strangely enough, the side intake made the system temp 1 degree warmer than having it as an output. I think that there are too many considerations such as the airflow you already have and the position of the side panel fan to give one definitive answer.

Try it both ways, go with what works!

Back