• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dremel Disk tip

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Toysrme

Just happened to think of this and a dremel disk question came up a few days ago.

If you're having problems with disks breaking or you want to prolong the life of them:

1) Dissassemble the disk and shaft leaving the disk
2) Drip some thin CA (a thin superglue will work also, but it must be THIN <i.e. runny>) make it even and let it wick into the disk
3) let it dry
4) put it back together

It won't hamper grinding abilities AT ALL and will greatly improve the stregnth.

You can also glue two disks together, but that obviously doubles the cost.

Toysrme said:

Should have thought of that my self. I went though so many of those stupid disks recently that I was doulbling up on them in an attemt to make them last longer. Guess I will have to try the CA now.

Toysrme said:
Just happened to think of this and a dremel disk question came up a few days ago.

If you're having problems with disks breaking or you want to prolong the life of them:

1) Dissassemble the disk and shaft leaving the disk
2) Drip some thin CA (a thin superglue will work also, but it must be THIN <i.e. runny>) make it even and let it wick into the disk
3) let it dry
4) put it back together

It won't hamper grinding abilities AT ALL and will greatly improve the stregnth.

You should probably post this over in the Dremel Guide thread in Alternative Modding.:cool:

Yeah sorry, it's what all superglues are made from. The forumula on CA's for modeling are more diverse viscosities for different drying time and stregnth.

A Thin CA from modeling is perfect for this. The hold stregnth is not as much as a medium or thick CA, but it's ability to wick into the disks is tremendous and bonds in 1-3 seconds.

Not 3-5 for a common medium
Not 5-8 for a common thick
That's 1-3 seconds to bond.

You may think normal superglue is fast, pickup a bottle of a good thin or <adjective>thin CA.

The bonding time to wood, skin, paper, cotton, anything it can wick into is a close to intant as you get. Instant enough so that cotton can be discolored by the heat byproduct, wood burns and can charr

and the sink on your fingers will burn and smoke. Not very fun. It's too thin and lightwieght to feel, get osme on a finger, you'd never know it. Boy you do a split second later once you touch fingers together!

To me it feels like holding your fingers above a lighter and lighting it for a second, then blowing it out. *very* discomfortable.

FYI Neat Super glue history lesson.
It was developed and used during WWII to instantly close battle wounds so that you could rush people back to get cut back open and fixed.

This is why you see many older people put it on blisters, cuts, anything of that nature. This is also why it is so good for bonding skin. Hell! That's what it was made for LoL!

I like that idea. Yeh becuase it wears down from grinding yet you get increased strength because it stays over 90% of the disk. Yeh those disks can be pricey.

Thank You,
Daniel

Toysrme said:

FYI Neat Super glue history lesson.
It was developed and used during WWII to instantly close battle wounds so that you could rush people back to get cut back open and fixed.

This is why you see many older people put it on blisters, cuts, anything of that nature. This is also why it is so good for bonding skin. Hell! That's what it was made for LoL!

The reason it's not used now is that they found it didn't work very well for it's intended purpose but works great for other things.

However, I believe they have now developed a variant that CAN be used like that. They can use it to hold wounds closed in place of sutures and it doesn't have to be removed, it just eventually gets absorbed back into the body (one of the problems with superglue I believe was that it can't).

Great tip. I will have to try it, as I have alot of cutting to do on my new case.

On a side note the stuff Drs. are using is called Derma-Bond. My wife had this used when she had surgery a couple months ago.

I just tried this..

Used 3 disks to cut out 2 80mm holes, and 2 120mm holes.

The only reason I had to get new disks is b/c they ran all the way down to the screw thing that holds the disk on!

Will this work on the regular discs, as well as the reinforced discs?

Yes so long as the superglue is thin enough to wick into the disks, it will work. Yes it will work on reinforced ones well. The differance is not night and day as going from regular to reinforced, but it's still a step above regular disks.

Moz - Yeah, check your ingrediants list, those are like mostly enamel(finger nail polish) with an antibacterial and watered down in some cases.

We used them on blisters when it came out last summer drumming. Swapped back to superglue, it's much stronger LoL!

sandman001 - Hope you're doing ok.

The closing of surgry wounds is one of the most important things in a hospital. I worked at one for 9 months last year. Staff and bacterial infections are about the most likely thing to kill you if you ever have to have major surgry.

Staples are great, but the sooner they get to something that works better, the better we'll all be off :\

I mean really... You'd think in the 1500 years since the Roman's we could come up with something better LoL!

Toysrme said:
I mean really... You'd think in the 1500 years since the Roman's we could come up with something better LoL!

When I had open heart surgery they didnt use staples, or stitches. I had those little sticky strips on the outside and something else on the inside (on the cut on my chest ofcourse), and i'm pretty sure they weren't stitches. I dont know why they dont use whatever they used on me all the time it worked really well.

I like the tip, i'm gonna have to do it when I get my RTX.

Well glad you're doing well.

They don't use stitches on nearly as much as they use to now that staples are widely used again.

The only downside is that "feeling" when they cut them in half heh...

I finally got around to using a Diamond wheel and it works great. So far I've done 2 120mm holes in a steel case, did some grinding, and cut 8 screws. It doesn't seem to have worn down at all(easy to tell because of the circles running along the middle). I'll be making these exact same cuts and grinds on another case(modding a [exact same] case for me and my bro). I'll follow up after doing the second case and maybe add some pictures.

Diamond wheel was $9.99 + $2 s&h from YourToolTime(actually, shipping was less because I ordered several items).
CLICK ME!

Last edited:
Sounds good. I'll try it some time.

Superglues also good to kill the feeling in parts of your body for short periods of time as well as giving you a "tough" layer of skin facsimile. Good for guitarists who've been out of practice for awhile.

Whoa...

So... none of you guys read the labels on the bottle?

DO NOT let it come in contact of skin/eyes or breathe fumes... and that warning is mostly not for the danger of glueing yourself together, it's because it's a toxic material.

CA is a cancerogenic chemical, meaning it can cause cancer.

In sweden that chemical is not favored for corporate use. It's only used where it is absolutely neccessary, since it is a big health hazard.

Back