• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sparkle power supply fan replace?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Big_Baller

Ok I have a Sparkle power supply. Yup its great, but a little on the loud side. (I am running water) It has a ball bearing fan in it, it says. Should I bother replacing it with another quieter same size fan? or will the replacement fan not blow hard enough and make it heat up fast? I just want to make sure its safe to do this.

If it's really bothering you, why not. Yes, replacing it with a lower CFM fan will make the PSU run hotter, but the tolerance on a PSU is not so bad that it will overheat. Having no fan at all may do the trick, but just installing another 80mm won't affect it in a critical way AFAIK.

You might want to see whether you can dig up the current fan's specification and see whether you can do better at the same airflow already. If not, or if you need even more quiet, consider fans that move a bit less air until you find one with noise specs that seem good to you.

Hmm...I would've thought you had one with noise killer. My suggestion is getting one that you would put on your HS...you can probably get one that's quieter with better CFM. I'm assuming you have one with an 80mm fan.

Ok, hey this power supply also dosn't have the atx 12v line (the little 4 prong one). I plan on doing some extensive overclocking. Is there some kind of converter I can get to convert an unused line to the little 4 prong?

Big_Baller868 said:
Ok, hey this power supply also dosn't have the atx 12v line (the little 4 prong one). I plan on doing some extensive overclocking. Is there some kind of converter I can get to convert an unused line to the little 4 prong?

If it doesn't have the 12v line, then I dont think you can do it. There may be a sort brutal way to make one of those connectors and patch it off of the main power source, but IMO that wouldnt be good.

And your on an AMD sys right? Ya ok, IIRC, the CPU only uses the 3.3v line, and then the memory would also use the 12v I think. Im pretty sure that even with extensive overclocking (however much extensive is :p) that you won't need that auxillary 12v connector.

Btw, I've never seen a pic of the a7n8x deluxe...so...does it actually have the connector for hte 4pin 12v cable??

And Ben721, I may have to try out those fans on my 430tp =D It does get a bit loud :)

Brian

Hehe, I am going to update that. I just got the Abit Nf7-s. and it does. So no easy way to patch it? oh well.

Heh, I just got my NF7-S yesterday, becuase I'm pretty sure my 8k3ae died on me *RIP* so ya I know that at least that mobo has a 12v connector :)

Now that I think about it, I think that the PSU's that have the 12v auxillary connector just have a alotted amount for that line, and there is only so much that can be pulled through that uses 12v through the 20-pin mobo connector and the 4 pin molexes, so if I'm thinking correctly then maybe the amount that can be pulled through the 20/molexes might be an increase? Then again, I'm not to knowledgeable on PSU internals :rolleyes:

Brian

I know! I'll just get a flux capacitor and go back in time. To purchase the one with the 12v line! So where do I buy flux capacitors? Pricewatch.com perhaps?

hey, if you pay me a few million quid i may construct you a leet neon flux capacitor. btw best films evar.

Big_Baller868 said:
I know! I'll just get a flux capacitor and go back in time. To purchase the one with the 12v line! So where do I buy flux capacitors? Pricewatch.com perhaps?

The mad scientist up on the hill has one in an old junker delorean. try snatching that.

Well he got the right answer, so let's not be too harsh on the method.

I know exactly what answer he got .

I'm commenting on sparkle power supplies in general...

If you are trying to say Sparkles aren't good power supplies, you just don't know what you are advising on.

Nonetheless, if the supply is old enough to not have the 12V aux connector it's time to upgrade to a newer unit rather than change fans and worry with creating a 12V aux connection that does not exist. The newer supplies have much greater output as well as adress the 12V aux problem, and power consumption has grown enough in the time since his supply was manufactured to warrant a replacement with a modern model.

Hey... All I know is that the first lan I ever went to was for Quake II and ATFG with some friends around twon and my powersupply shorted itself out in my month old computer.

Everyone there found the problem and the CIS guy that's one of my best friend's dad told me to avoid them from now on...

I have, and that's the only powersupply I've ever lost.

If that is all you know on the subject then I would suggest not making broad ranging comments on the viability of Sparkle power supplies.

I have seen power supplies from every maker fail at some point. The lowest ratio between actual numbers and failure have come from the Fortron/Sparkles. I have personally sold and supported hundreds of these units and only seen one failure. Their quality, reliability, and value are excellent.

Back