• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

kx7-333 doesnt like high fsb - xp2500 Barton OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TuxOP

Registered
As the title says..

Im currently ocing my new 2500 Barton and I seem to have hit a brick wall at around 190 fsb. I tried upping the vcore(1.775) a few times with no luck. I also tried lowering the multi but that didnt help either. So right now im still able to raise the clock speed(12x185) using the multi but Im curious has anyone had any luck with getting above 190 using this mobo? I dont think any of my other components have a problem handling the high fsb, so i assume its the mobo.

sounds like the ram would be the wall, and not the cpu, but your ram should be able to do it , no problem. maybe i'm reaching here, but what is your ram voltage set at? maybe more vdimm?

Theres no pci bus lock and the divider only goes to 5 so 190 is about max before goofy things happin....

Don't agree. You may go further. See my signature... I could run at 200MHz rock stable too but I'm afraid to lose my HD data

Which memory slot are you plugging in your memory?

In my case DIMM1 worked better than DIMM4

You may try to set "cpu fast command decode" to "normal" my is in "fast" but I have a different CPU.

Last edited:
I am running a barton 2500+ in a KX7-333R Rev 1.1. I have been able to get up to 200FSB but it strains the video card too much. In order for me to get there I had to have the vcore up to 1.82v. Also, I have found that 12.5 x 192 is very nice. I have a 'D' stepping barton. What is your's?

Since the Forums wont let me update my profile :mad: here are my specs as of current...:

Abit KX7-333R (Rev. 1.1)
AMD XP 2500+ Barton - OCed (3300+)
(OC to 2.4 GHz - 12.5 x 192 FBS)
Corsair PC3200 - 512mb (@ 384MHz)
4 60gig Western Digital HD
(4 in RAID0 array 32k stripe)
Asus GeForce3 v8200 Delux
SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 Plat.
Plextor 16/10/40A
Cretive Labs 12x DVD

Mike

shan said:
I can not get above 185FSB
Mine is Athlon XP
13x185

Are you reducing your multi to 12.5????? If so memory is your pain.

Can you provide Vcore and Vdimm

RafaDel, it looks like you are running the exact same speed that I am (12.5x192) with my 1700+ JIUHB 0319. I haven't tried to go any higher either, since I don't want to risk losing my HD data.

I have ordered myself an NF7 v2.0 mobo, but I cannot decide what CPU cooler to get. I have an SK-7 and TT-SF2, but my CPU temp is running about 45C. What sort of temps are you getting with the SLK-800? Is yours an 800A or 800U (clip-on or bolt-on)?

Edward2 said:
RafaDel, it looks like you are running the exact same speed that I am (12.5x192) with my 1700+ JIUHB 0319. I haven't tried to go any higher either, since I don't want to risk losing my HD data.

I have ordered myself an NF7 v2.0 mobo, but I cannot decide what CPU cooler to get. I have an SK-7 and TT-SF2, but my CPU temp is running about 45C. What sort of temps are you getting with the SLK-800? Is yours an 800A or 800U (clip-on or bolt-on)?

At room temp of 20C and Vcore about 1.78V and TT-SF2 running silent at 3500 rpm I get 44-49C idle-load. If you look at this Forum you will see that SLK800 is just 2-3C better than SLK7. SLK900 does not make any difference compared with SLK800.

I have not purchased a NF7 yet. I just think KT333 is still good for me.

But for cooling I have no doubt SLK800 is the best!

Last edited:
My case temp runs about 26C and my CPU temp runs about 45C load (difference of 19C) with the SK-7 and TT-SF2 running at 4900 rpm (max).

My Vcore is only at 1.70 volts at 2.4 GHz. Once I get the NF7 mobo, I want to see what this chip will do with 1.80 volts, but I'm afraid that my CPU temp is really going to increase a lot. I may get one of the SLK-800 heatsinks and see if I can keep the temp below 50C.

Most of JIUHBs need 1.8-1.9V to reach 2.5GHz. If you stay under 1.85V chances are good.

When you get your NF7 please let me know if it was a good deal.

;)

RafaDel, it has taken me a while to get everything worked out with the NF7, but I must say that I am impressed overall. I am running the same 1700+ Tbred B in the NF7 that I was running in the KX7.

The NF7 requires a little higher Vcore in the BIOS, because the mobo seems to undervolt just a little. Also, my temps seem to be 4-5 degrees higher in the NF7 with the same HSF combo. But I am now running 11*220= 2.42 GHz with 2x256 MB DC memory. The improvements in memory bandwidth and FSB speed may not really be noticeable, but I am definitely enjoying the new mobo.

One other thing...

I had to swap out my Antec 350W PS with another one I had (TT 420W PS), because the Antec did not have enough power available on the 12V rail. The TT PS is doing great though. All of the voltages seem to be very stable.

I was able to run my 1700 @ 206 FSB with my Muskin PC3000 a while back. Now I am unable to. Dunno.

I am stuck with a 1.75v max core for my DLT3C chip which sucks.

Back