• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLK-800 (u or a) or the zalman 7000CU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sentry

Registered
Hi,

I would like opinions on the following cpu cooling options (other suggestions are welcomed) . I'm considering the SLK-800, or the Zalman 7000CU.

I will be running it on a P4 2.4c cpu. I know that SLK-800 has good reputation, however, the zalman looks good but havent heard of any real life experinces with it.

If anyone wants to breif the features of the zalman look here http://www.sharkacorp.com/Merchant2...Product_Code=cnps7000cu&Category_Code=sock754.

Thanks..

I've heard that the Zalman was a good cooler. However, if you decide to go with Thermalright, get the SLK-900U. It is more suited for P4 use than the SLK-800U. The SLK-800A is only for Socket A (AMD) CPUs.

id go with the zalman in a heartbeat, the area of the copper is huge, and it requires almost no fan power to be a great cooler. :)

Thanks for thread...and I did try the search feature but no luck..

would it make any sense to run the intake fan on the side of the case, even thou the zal7000 has a fan of its own (which would be going against the side fan stream of air.

l dont think you could go wrong with having to much intake, but just wondering if it would actually make a difference.

thx again,,

lm only in the planning phase of getting all my parts, so theres no way for me to test yet :(

I believe that having a good amount of exhaust to balance out your airflow (but slightly positive) is the way to go.
The Zalman is only for P4s or 64-bit AMD processors(sockets 478 & 754). The SLK-900U is top of the line for AMD processors.

If you do go with the Zalman, I wouldn't move it excessively. Bring it to a LAN party in a car would be certain death, as it mounts with only the Intel brackets. Other than it being real big and heavy, its a good choice to get.

Ffats said:
If you do go with the Zalman, I wouldn't move it excessively. Bring it to a LAN party in a car would be certain death, as it mounts with only the Intel brackets. Other than it being real big and heavy, its a good choice to get.

It shouldn't be so bad if you lay it on its side.

sentry said:
would it make any sense to run the intake fan on the side of the case, even thou the zal7000 has a fan of its own (which would be going against the side fan stream of air.

l dont think you could go wrong with having to much intake, but just wondering if it would actually make a difference.

thx again,,

lm only in the planning phase of getting all my parts, so theres no way for me to test yet :(
Do you think the processor fan sucks the air off the heatsink? If so you are mistaken, 99% of the time the fan BLOWS DOWN on the heatsink, so if you were to put an intake fan on the side it would be going WITH the flow and NOT against it, like so.

Side Intake Fan---->Zalman Fan---->Heatsink

The ">" represents the direction of airflow.

Back