• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC+Turbo

Registered
What do u guys think is better to oc the 2100+ or the 1700+
date code is 2100+ 0307 and the 1700+ 0310 for over clock system be using the Abit NF7-S V2 and tell me if the antec TP430 is that inuff or the TP480 or TP550 be better to use?

Hey guys well I need help with, i am new to the forums i need to know if what would be better to use?

Would the 1700+ be better of overclocking with the Abit NF7-S V2 or the 2100+ and if the 1700+ would overclock better with the Asus A7N8X DLX V2 or the 2100+?

Olso which is better to pair up with the Abit with the 1700+ or 2100+ or the Asus with the 1700+ or 2100+?

Thank You! for takeing your time to read this your help would help me.

Abit NF7-S v2 with either processor. The earlier weeks seem to preform better at least on the 2100+ (from what some people have said) so both of those processors probaby have good potential. It all comes down to money, the 2100+ if you have more and the 1700+ if you don't. But get the Abit.

This might be a misplaced thread and bad topic, Overclocking is a little broad here lol:D and its not just Abit so it should be in AMD procs, AMD Mobos, or General Hardware... but I would also like to say:

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

Thank u so much since i am new i did not know were to place this post and what to call it but in time i will know thank u again for letting me know.

I also wanted to know well if i get the abit board would i be better of pushing the 1700+ or the 2100+ on it cause i got both cpus but dont know which to use also should i let the system run for a week before i start overclocking it or i can start as soon as i put it togetheir?

i would try both, if you have the time and patients. i have clocked my brother's xp2100 to 2500mhz, and i have reached 2638 on air with the one in my sig. mine is a week 0307 xp2100 t-bred b.

both chips should do well, but i think the xp2100's might take you a bit further...but both are worth giving a try,...you never know..you might have a slug of a chip on one of them, and a rocket clocker on the other....
:)

and: WELCOME TO THE FORUMS...!!!

Last edited:
Probably the 2100+ but I would test them both out personnaly, the only real differnce besides possible overclockablity which would need to be tested is the 2100+ has the higher multies already active while the 1700+ has the lower. In order the move to the higher or move to the lower (if needed depending on the processor), you need to cut/blow or connect some bridges, I'm not sure wich ones but you can ask or find a thread on blowing bridges in AMD CPUs (I think). Use the search. So depening on how comfortable you feel that could make your choice easier. I don't know at what point you would need to change the multi down or up but if you have good ram and can get over 200 FSB that MIGHT be the point where you need to switch it down :D

Thank You! This is the chip not sure if its wp or xp dont have the chip in my hand @ the moment but this is it.
AMD Athlon XP1700+ 1.47G 384K 266 BOX(JIUHB:0310WPMW/XPMW)

and the 2100+ is rev B with 0307 date code and dont remember the steping.

I want to get 200fsb and atleast 2.4ghz range so if i use the Abit NF7-S V2 board for lets say the 1700+ cause it overclocks better I am guessing compared to the Asus A7N8X DLX V2 and use the 2100+ chip on the Asus or am i wrong about this ?

OK well CrashOveride you are saying go with the 2100+ with abit motherboard? and i will be using good cooling and some fine memory i think they are OCZ pc3200EL dual pack 2x256 ow the heat sink is mcx462+ with Tornado fan 80mm with this in mind u think i can do decent oc as i said before like 200x12=2400 u think thats possible and which be better to use again i am asking lol 1700+ or the 2100+.

Thank u guys again!

Ya, I would use the 2100+ I think:D

But in the end it is really your choice:D

With eiter you will get a good OC (if the 1700+ is a Tbred-B) and the 2100+ a B as well (not an A).
I think the 2100+ has a better change of going higher though:D

Well thank u and one thing i needid to was do i need to put the artic silver 3 on the north bridge and if i can select lower multipliers like go down instead of up and yes they r both B and

THX AGAIN!!!!!

You might need to do that (they ont use it stock thats for sure though), you can select different multies on both but the 2100+ has only 12.5 and up (I think, might be 13 and up) and the 1700+ 12.5 or 12 and below... unless you do that little mod I spoke of.
:D

OC+Turbo said:
Well thank u and one thing i needid to was do i need to put the artic silver 3 on the north bridge and if i can select lower multipliers like go down instead of up and yes they r both B and

THX AGAIN!!!!!

most folks are using a decent thermal paste like asIII on the n.b, and some are using better heatsinks than the stock one too. also, it is not uncommon for the overclockers here to mod a s.b.cooler as well, since the s.b. seems to get warm above 200fsb. and even hot at 217 and up...

i have the abit at7-max2, and i used asIII on my n.b. as well, and i did it on the max1 too.

do you have a decent case with good airflow? if not, your cpu can still get warm during your overclocking adventures. also, what will you use to monitor the temps? it is going to be important to watch temps closely as you begin to increase fsb, and vcore...:)

Hi does anyone know if the 2100+ B its unlocked from the start but does it let u play around with the multipliers like if i need to go down and select lesser multiplier and raise the fsb do i get the full control or i need to mod the cpu some how?

OC+Turbo said:
Hi does anyone know if the 2100+ B its unlocked from the start but does it let u play around with the multipliers like if i need to go down and select lesser multiplier and raise the fsb do i get the full control or i need to mod the cpu some how?

To answer your question, YES the 2100+B's are "UNLOCKED" from the start, and YES you most defiantly can play with the Multipliers as you can see below in my "SIG" I run my 2100+B's Multipliers down, then PUMP UP the FSB tell I find the Sweet spot on the FSB :D Once this has been achieved I bring my Multipliers back UP with as much Voltage Core as needed tell they become "UNSTABLE" then I back them off tell they become STABLE once again, then I know I have found my processors "MAX" just make sure you do a LOT of testing with software such as Prime95 to make sure your OverClock "IS STABLE" and watch the Temperature very close as not to "COOK" the CPU ;)

Best of luck!

DpGravy

OC+Turbo said:

Yes, just like DiaperGravy said but it can't reach some of the lower multies. Like I said previously its somthing like below 12.5 or 13 (it can if you mod it though).

Thank u guys but i am still confused like if i can make the 2100+ go down to 12 multiplier without the mods then i guess i can use it but thinking if i gonna keep my 1700+ laying around then i wanna think were i gonna use it like mabe i should use it in the NF7-S V2.0 then i can push it fartheir then other boards and save the 2100+ for like epox 8rda+ or A7N8X DLX V2 and oc it then i dont know guys let me know what u guys think and tell me one more time what i should do 2100+ or 1700+ what better way to go with the abit NF7-S V2.0 and plus i dont want have to keep removeing the cooler and then changing the cpu like just wanna o/c it and leave it. Again I thanK u all for trying to help me out and hope i can get some advise!

THANK YOU!!!

well, since some folks are saying certain chips go from stock , to higher multipliers, and some go from stock, to lower multipliers, i must assume that the motherboard plays a role in this as well. i have the AT7-MAX2 mb and i can access all the higher and lower multipliers, with no mods. my chip is an xp2100 t-bred "B" .

i would also like to add, that if you really want to know which chip is going to do well in which board...all i can suggest is to try them. i know you don't want to remove the cooler and do all this, but that is part of overclocking. there is no solid answer. we can't just say this board, and that chip, and send you off on your way. we all know that 2 identical chips may show completely different results on the same board. it is going to be up to you, to try the board you like best, and overclock each chip in it, til you find what works best for you, and it would be great if you would also reply back in your thread here, to let us know how it all goes.

this is how we all do it, and it's always better than having other members try to guess what you chip can do on your board. of course, we have our preferences, and many of our opinion will differ, and even if the xp2100's seem to be the better clockers, there is no way for us to know if your specific chip will do as well, or worse, or better than other typical chips like it.

i like the idea of using the xp2100, as most folks have suggested to you, as they have worked out very well for me. i have not had the chance to try the xp1700's, and therefore, i won't try to guess .

you might want to check your chips, and their stepping here: http://www.cpudatabase.com/CPUdb/ , this will give you an idea of what others have experienced. also notice the vcores there, and the motherbords matched to the chips. and , of course, notice the cooling. don't expect to get 2800mhz , as the "o/c member" who does get 2800mhz, is most likely using better cooling than you and i.
;)

OC+Turbo said:
Thank You! This is the chip not sure if its wp or xp dont have the chip in my hand @ the moment but this is it.
AMD Athlon XP1700+ 1.47G 384K 266 BOX(JIUHB:0310WPMW/XPMW)

and the 2100+ is rev B with 0307 date code and dont remember the steping.

I want to get 200fsb and atleast 2.4ghz range so if i use the Abit NF7-S V2 board for lets say the 1700+ cause it overclocks better I am guessing compared to the Asus A7N8X DLX V2 and use the 2100+ chip on the Asus or am i wrong about this ?

to me it looks like you should have a decent xp1700 there. and the xp2100 you listed is an 0307, like mine...and mine has done 2638mhz on my rig, and can run a smooth 2500mhz all day long. i'd be happy to test either chip if i had the opportunity. just my thoughts.....;)

madsam said:
well, since some folks are saying certain chips go from stock , to higher multipliers, and some go from stock, to lower multipliers, i must assume that the motherboard plays a role in this as well. i have the AT7-MAX2 mb and i can access all the higher and lower multipliers, with no mods. my chip is an xp2100 t-bred "B" .

i would also like to add, that if you really want to know which chip is going to do well in which board...all i can suggest is to try them. i know you don't want to remove the cooler and do all this, but that is part of overclocking. there is no solid answer. we can't just say this board, and that chip, and send you off on your way. we all know that 2 identical chips may show completely different results on the same board. it is going to be up to you, to try the board you like best, and overclock each chip in it, til you find what works best for you, and it would be great if you would also reply back in your thread here, to let us know how it all goes.

this is how we all do it, and it's always better than having other members try to guess what you chip can do on your board. of course, we have our preferences, and many of our opinion will differ, and even if the xp2100's seem to be the better clockers, there is no way for us to know if your specific chip will do as well, or worse, or better than other typical chips like it.

i like the idea of using the xp2100, as most folks have suggested to you, as they have worked out very well for me. i have not had the chance to try the xp1700's, and therefore, i won't try to guess .

you might want to check your chips, and their stepping here: http://www.cpudatabase.com/CPUdb/ , this will give you an idea of what others have experienced. also notice the vcores there, and the motherbords matched to the chips. and , of course, notice the cooling. don't expect to get 2800mhz , as the "o/c member" who does get 2800mhz, is most likely using better cooling than you and i.
;)

Ya, the motherboard can play a part, I think (and I guess so since this is the case for you) that SOME motherboards work for both but some don't without the mod and some don't at all. Now that I htink about it the Abit may be one that works without the modefication but I'm not 100% sure, you might try a search there are a few threads where OC Detective explains all this very, very well.

Back