• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

thermal paste questions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

noob_123

Ive read artic silver 3 is a good thermal pase..and i understand thermal paste helps cool the processor..Would i just apply artic silver 3 once and never have to do it again? or is it something i need to do over and over again.

when you do clean it, the best way i've found to clean it, is using an alcohol swab. They work great!

Any sort of thermal compound is needed to allow for proper heat transfer between the core and the HS. You have to make sure you apply it properly, though (a thin layer on the core--think spreading an amount equal to half a grain of rice).

AS3 performs great as long as it is properly applied. It takes only a very thin layer to properly mate the cpu/HS. The new Arctic Silver product Ceramique works just as well plus it is non-conductive and more forgiving if mis-applied.

Yes make sure that you apply the AS3 correctly. If you use too much, or if you use too little the thermal conductivity of the compund will be hindered and you will not get ideal temperatures. The best way to do it is to put a drop of AS3 (about the size of a half of a grain of rice) and then use a Credit Card to this it out evenly. Then make sure that you are seating the Heatsink evenly so you dont mush the compound around a lot.
Good luck.
;)

Some food for thought...AMD will not warranty one of their processors that has Artic Silver applied to it...The Ceraminqe might be a "safer" choice...;)

For the most part the "grease it and forget it" method works ok for thermal interface materials. However, as the cpu and heatsink heat up and cool down over and over again, the thermal expansion and contraction going on works against the grease. Eventually the performance of the material will begin to decrease, but it usually takes quite a while before this becomes a noticable factor.

The biggest thing to remember about any thermal interface material is that a little goes a long way. Use just enough and its perfect, too much and it could perform worse than none at all.

800XL said:
The biggest thing to remember about any thermal interface material is that a little goes a long way. Use just enough and its perfect, too much and it could perform worse than none at all.

i can back this up with facts bud, my p4 was idling at ~53°C on a park7, i reseated and applied a tiny tiny bit of thermal grease (the cheapo thing that came with the spark.. not even ASIII) and now it doesnt even get past 48 at full load

altec said:
Yes make sure that you apply the AS3 correctly. If you use too much, or if you use too little the thermal conductivity of the compund will be hindered and you will not get ideal temperatures. The best way to do it is to put a drop of AS3 (about the size of a half of a grain of rice) and then use a Credit Card to this it out evenly. Then make sure that you are seating the Heatsink evenly so you dont mush the compound around a lot.
Good luck.
;)

Whether you use a credit card or a razor blade, make sure you thoroughly clean it first (isropophyl alcohol or something of the sort) and DO NOT touch the part that you will be using to spread the thermal compound.

Some people will tell you to redo it every month or two...

Just do it until you get it right and don't ever touch it till you have to.

;)

Yes you only need to apply it once for each time you take your heatsink off. Artic silver 3 is great. The silver in it is about 99% pure silver. With there being about 75% silver by content.

Thank You,
Daniel

Back