• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New cooling technique

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I remember a popular science article from a few years ago talking about this. The 'cooling' stops after a while... sorta like those instant-heat packs you get in first-aid kits. It's just a temporary chemical reaction... like glow-sticks and Big-Macs.

right... but the technique described is:

When activated, the all natural desiccant contained within a vacuum draws the heat from the beverage through the evaporator into an insulated heat-sink container.

so what Im trying to get at is: In a vacumm, a desiccant (something that draws moisture) will draw heat away, or so I think. If this is possible then for instance can I put a vacum container on top of my Heatsink with desiccant and draw heat from the HS instead of a cooling fan?

Well than sorry to burst your bubble but it isn't really new, the size and application is but it sounds pretty "one time use" (like said above) and its on a much smaller scale than what is needed for computer cooling. Sounds nice to cool Cokes though :D

dude, that thing could barely cool a friggin beverage can, how the hell do you expect it to cool the CPU?

besides, what are you going to do when the cooling runs out? it does run out you know, just like a glow-stick

He's not talking about using the actual can, just the principle of it. This technology is basically part of a phase change system done without a compressor. My guess is that this works by storing the soda under high pressure. when the seal is punctured, it flows into the rest of the can, losing pressure and temperature. This is a very good idea!

I think the technology has some real potential, if they can up its cooling capability (like, 100W or so) and still keep it on the scale of a popcan. And, of course, I'm not talking about one time use solutions! Interesting to see how this concept matures.

Likewise. I found it interesting as a new direction with which to go, since so far PC cooling is restricted to passive radiator heat transfer; having something actually "suck" it away from the chip core would be neat!

I was just beign sardonic about the coke can and sponge.... but hey! whatever works right?

Last edited:
This technology is already in use in your refrigerator and air conditioner. People already use it to cool their computers: it's called a phase-change system. However, all of those systems use a compressor. This company has just modified the idea into a portable one-time use system.

It dosent matter how you slice it, THAT METHOD WILL NOT BE PRACTICAL

as a matter of fact it would work, but would be HIGHLY impractical, remember the guys that tried cooling down their CPU with liquid nitrogen? it worked but it was highly impractical....

I mean who the hell would constantly refill liquid nitrogen for his PC to keep it cool, its just a retarded long-term concept....

Now this "new" phase change method, its not new at all, as a matter of fact it uses the same method used in refrigeration (liquid decompresses, cooling happens as a result) the only difference being is that it is not in a cycle (once liquid is decompressed its all over, no more re-compression)

If you still dont understand WHAT THE HELL i am saying, think of it this way, you have bought a PC CASE BLOWER the type with compressed air in the can and sprayed your PC down and dusted it right? Remember how the can got cold? Yeah, thats the exact same method they are using, and if you dont know what i am talking about go out and buy yourself an air spray can and turn it upside down then spray your hand a bit....

Now imagine cooling down your CPU using thousands of those spray cans constantly wasting air spray so the can gets cold so that you can cool the CPU, YEAH, thats how retarded this idea is.....

if you want to do that just get a freon rifridgeraion system!

any questions ? :D

mayagrafix said:
Likewise. I found it interesting as a new direction with which to go, since so far PC cooling is restricted to passive radiator heat transfer; having something actually "suck" it away from the chip core would be neat!

I was just beign sardonic about the coke can and sponge.... but hey! whatever works right?

There is a system developed by NASA to actually "suck" the heat away from the core, its a thin plate that requires alot of electricity to operate, its called a peltier, do a search on it and youll know what i am talking about (i am thinking of getting one myself).

You would have to replace the chemicals or whatever very quickly to use this. Unless they become very cheap, this would not be a very good long term solution. Even if they are cheap, then essentially you have a phase change system, but with a monthly upkeep cost (assuming you have a tank of the reactants in your computer that you have to refill every month or so). Even if the monthly cost is reasonable, over time it will not be cost effective compared with a traditional condenser system. However, this could have some interesting applications in silent cooling.

blackjackel said:
you have bought a PC CASE BLOWER the type with compressed air in the can and sprayed your PC down and dusted it right? Remember how the can got cold? Yeah, thats the exact same method they are using, and if you dont know what i am talking about go out and buy yourself an air spray can and turn it upside down then spray your hand a bit....Now imagine cooling down your CPU using thousands of those spray cans constantly wasting air spray so the can gets cold so that you can cool the CPU, YEAH, thats how retarded this idea is.....

Well considering air is free, all you would have to do in this case is work out how to pressurize the air. Not so retarded really....

"There's no such thing as a silly question, just a silly answer".

Back