• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4 fan locations?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

koontz946

ok so i have 4 fans that i need to use to cool my cpu and case... no vid card or nething special, just mobo, cpu, hd, floppy, and cd:

*two 80mm 28 CFM, 2200 RPM case fans
*X-Dream 80mm 31.4 - 62.8 CFM, 2500 - 4800 RPM hsf
*80 mm 23.7 CFM, 2100 RPM fan

here are some pics of my case...

prospectivefans.JPG

backpic1.JPG

frontpic1.JPG

where should i put the fans? which should be intake / exhaust? i was planning on doing a ducting mod... would that be reasonable? (hole in bottom / side -> X-Dream)?

X dreams intaking
*two 80mm 28 CFM, 2200 RPM case fans exhausting in the back
*80 mm 23.7 CFM, 2100 RPM fan in the side

Those are kinda low fans for cpu cooling (thats about the fan speed on my compaq). I would place the ones you have according to toysrme and I would get a higher rated one for the cpu and either 7v mod it or put it on a rheo so you get total controll over the noise level.

this isnt at all an expensive computer... its a DTK mobo, cellie 800mhz (hopefully o'c to around 1100 - 1200; its the cD0)... and nothing else... i think the fans will do the job, i just need to make sure theyre in the right places

what is v7 mod?

Or you going to have the case on some standoffs or something? becasue otherwise that fan on the bottem might not do much

When he said the x-dream intaking, that is exactly what he meant, on the duct you just make a hole in the side panel, and run the duct to the cpu fan, there is NO NEED to have a fan on each end.

I do see why you misunderstood, the x-dream will basicly be an "intake" if you do the ducting mod.

Also I guess mizzery didnt know that the x-dream is rated for a XP 2800+ or higher, it is plenty for your setup. Keeps my pally@40C load.

Last edited:
how about this?

would this be a good idea?

prospectivefans2.JPG

the intake and blowhole at top would be the 2 that are the same, the exhaust would be the 80mm 2100 rpm one.

suggestions?

if you have a different idea, please explain what you are thinking... maybe my thinking is flawed :)

I don't do the top exhaust (even tho that's how my watercool works...)

Stick the top fan exhausting to second side intake under the CPU duct.

This will do much mroe to keep the GPU/PCI slots cool. Really though, since when do cd/dvd drives need it? I have a rheo LCD dvd-ram and cdrw in mine, it never had a problem at all before everything got cut out ands tuck in the computer...

In case you didnt understand toysrme. (I almost didnt with his darn wording) Make another hole for a side intake fan below the cpu/duct intake hole.

This is what I have done on my pc, except I dont have a duct. (There is just two fans in the side.) Got the lower front facing fan to cool the harddrives too, everything stays nice and cool, I do have a top exhaust though.

Yeah that was abit wierd, sorry. Pun intended

Duct the heatsink, put another fan under that on the side of the case blowing at the agp/pci/isa cards.

Exhaust one in the standard position.

Then decide if you want another exhausting by the PCI slots or stick it in front blowing backwards in the normal position

Obviously tradition states stick it infront of the hard drive, but I don't see that helping you at all, nothing is there ROTFLMAO! (ooo heatercore, pump space!)

If you do stick something there, do something to open up the front of the case to keep it from being more restrictive. IMHO your case <pun still intended> it really wouldn't hurt to break with tradition.

pic to come

a 7v mod is when you connect the fans red lead to a +12v and the black lead to +5v which yields a potential difference of 7V. Basically you switch the red and yellow wires on a molex. If you're using a fan header on the mobo, cut the red and black wires off and connect them to a moles, but leave the yellow (speed sensor).

I totally didn't see that the xdream fan goes up to 62.8 cfm, that is plenty. My bad ;)

that looks like a good idea... the x-dream is a bit further towards the upper left corner, so shoud i move the 23CFM up too? in other words, what should the 23 CFM fan be over?

that looks like a good idea... the x-dream is a bit further towards the upper left corner, so shoud i move the 23CFM up too? in other words, what should the 23 CFM fan be over?

Holding the fan vetrically like it would be installed on the side panel.

You'll want about 25% of the fan blade area ABOVE the AGP slot.

This should give the maximum amount of flow to the video card fan and PCI slots. It'll also put a slight breeze up on the backside.

If you do like I said don't worry about the northbridge or 5" bays. The northbridge is still getting air comming off the CPU heat sink(as it normally always dose)
The 5" bays never get any flow anyways... So nothing is going to be lacking there.

Hard drives should be fine. Worst case scenario with more than 1 very hot drive is you move them around...

Back