• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

??Worth an upgrade??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jlush

Currently:
-MSI kt3 ultra
-xp 1600+
-micron 512 pc2100
-msi g3 ti200 128

Prospect:
-Abit NF7 rev 2.0
-Xp 1700+ thoro B
-GEIL 512MB(2x256MB) PC-3200 Cas2, Copper Heat Spreaders, Dual Channel Enhanced
-ATI Radeon 9700 Pro -retail

I'll be playing games like doom3 and HL2 when they come out.

Will this stuff be able to handle all that? I don't wanna have to upgrade at the end of the summer...
(is the abit good at overclocking my 1700+ b?)
(is that ram good for overclocking?)

Please help me out, and if theres something better, let me know for sure!

Cya

Yes but dont get the geil memeory instead get hyperx or mem with winbond chip's.

Hey,
I've heard a lot about winbond chips, would you mind explaining them to me a bit, and if newegg has some good ones

Also, I've heard kingston hyperx isnt very compatible with the nf7, maybe im confused though......

Please help me out

you could get something like a 2500+ with your current mobo and RAM plus a new video card....I dont think you'd be getting THAT much more perfomance to make it worth the $$ to buy a whole new setup

doesnt pc2100 suck, and my mobo wont give me any voltage, and I can't overclock cause of my mobo! that's why I wanna upgrade

Last edited:
RobP4P said:
you could get something like a 2500+ with your current mobo and RAM plus a new video card....I dont think you'd be getting THAT much more perfomance to make it worth the $$ to buy a whole new setup

I all too well understand the urge to upgrade...seems to set in about 3 months after every upgrade I do. I might try to wait for the next cycle of hardware (nforce3, cheaper pc3200, etc) if you're really just trying to gear up for HL2 and Doom3. But prices are really tempting right now...you really can't loose either way!

I know I'm enjoying my new 2500+ right now ;)

Back