• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what fans?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CVW

Registered
what fans are good for intake and what are good for blowout cuz i have the lian-li 60 B and it has a top blowout fan a rear blowout fan and two front intake fans. all are 80mm whats the best to get? should i replace the intake but leave the blowout fans? or replace all or vice versa?

Even if your case temps are good, you could add extra fans, 7V mod them and cut down on your noise :)

http://www.nexfan.com/80mmfans.html
Take your pick CVW.

I ordered two of these and am very pleased:
http://www.nexfan.com/evcafan80bab.html
You can get the three pin or Molex connector.

Noise-wise fans with a dBa, decibel, level between 20 & 25 will be quiet. It follows, the higher the dBa level the noisier the fan and usually moves more air. One fan with a dBa level of 50 will be noiser than two with a 25 dBa level. Don't ask me why, das' jest de' way it is. 30 CFM is sufficent for most cases because I figure a mid tower case contains 3 cubic feet of air and a 30 CFM fan will theoretically "change the air" in your case ten times a minute. Don't forget, the PS, power supply, fan also removes hot air from the case.

Your post provided sparse info to work with, but here goes.
First, an Old Indian computer trick:
Back before they had temp monitoring software utilities we'd take a mercury thermometer, like your Dr. uses, and stick it between the PS wires in the TOP of the case, close the case, let it sit a couple hours then take a reading. (Don't allow the mercury bulb to touch anything.) Do what ever case mod, like add a case fan, put the thermometer back EXACTLY where it was before, close the case, leave it there a couple hours then take another reading. Don't forget the ambient temp directly effects the readings. Crude but effective means of seeing what your temps are doing as you make the case mods. I suggest doing one mod at the time then see how the temps read. Go slow, be methodical, write it down, do it right. In so doing you remove all guess work and have relativey accurate data to work with because you KNOW what effect the mods have.

TIP: Go to the pool dept of a store and buy an encased mercury thermometer, not nearly as apt to break and you can secure it in place with a twist tie.

Case cooling covers a wide range of variables and I tried to give you a basic place to start.

One last comment: If you put two 30CFM fans in and your case vent is not large enough you might "starve" the fans and and it may be prudent to use an intake fan. Most cases have holes in place to install an intake fan over the front vent. Again, don't forget to figure in the PS fan.

"i have the lian-li 60 B and it has a top blowout fan a rear blowout fan and two front intake fans."
Sounds like a real nice case with great cooling options.
If it were me I'd first install one top exaust fan, then take the temp readings. Next I'd go with one intake fan and take another reading. All kinds of ways you can skin this cooling Cat, so have it, enjoy your computer and LEARN. If you have more questions come on back and we'll be glad to help if we can. OldBird

PS Neat monitoring utility here:
http://www.podien.onlinehome.de/CPUCOOL.HTM

Another here, scroll way down to the bottom of the page:
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Last edited:
I would replace them all with high performance Sunon fans. They are on the louder side but you will notice about 3-5f cooler case temperatures and CPU which will mean you can get those extra few mhz out of your computer.

Thank You,
Daniel

High speed fan.

http://www.nexfan.com/su80hicafa.html

Sure moves a lot of air, like 84CFM at FIFTY FIVE bDa.
WhOA! Who's ya' Daddy? Two of those bad boys running should be interesting, probably sound something like a small helo in your computer room.
No problem, you could always wear ear plugs . . . .

Different strokes for different folks.
That's why we don't all drive Red Chevy trucks and drink Budweiser. ;-}

do not go extreme on your case fans. It's uneeded. What's themost important about case cooling, is that you have a positive pressure and a decent amount of cfm. you don't want to have like 6 tornado case fans. that'd be insane amount of cfm and completely unneccessary. It also depends on how much cfm you currently have with how much db. If you're running a fan wtih huge DB level, then adding case fans wont matter what db. Lets say you have a 50db cpu fan. Adding a 50db case fan wont make the noise 100db, it'll stay at 50db. It might be a little bit louder because the cpu fan is inside the case while the case fan is right near the vents. If you have a 30db cpu fan, i would keep the case fans 30db and below. 50db cpu fan, then get case fans around 48db and below. You can always compromise.

roYal said:
do not go extreme on your case fans. It's uneeded. What's themost important about case cooling, is that you have a positive pressure and a decent amount of cfm.

Positive pressure is not important, in fact it can be better to have negative because then there isnt any heat building up. THE only reason positive pressure can be good is it can prevent dust, BUT that wont matter when you have two 30cfm fans pumping unfiltered air in the case.

Last edited:
schismspeak said:
BUT that wont matter when when have two 30cfm fans pumping unfiltered air in the case.

Well, having positive pressure can be better as air blows out of the drives rather than in. Less dust in the CD/DVD -ROM drives is a good thing.

schismspeak said:

Positive pressure is not important, in fact it can be better to have negative because then there isnt any heat building up. THE only reason positive pressure can be good is it can prevent dust, BUT that wont matter when when have two 30cfm fans pumping unfiltered air in the case.

On the money there. We don't know what system CVW has because they didn't say. Unless it is a really hot-dog-jacked-up system, one 30CFM intake and one 30CFM exaust should suffice.
Important thing is keeping the CPU within acceptable temp parameters. The other components are built to withstand a lot more heat than we would probably ever subject them to under normal conditions.

How many ka-zillion store bought computers are out there running 24/365 with nothing but a PS fan to expell the hot air, no other exaust fan and haven't had the CPU HS cleaned in years and they hum right on along. Case in point; my neighbors old Dinosaur Celeron shop built. If I told you you wouldn't believe it . . . .

We can beat this heat dog forever but I feel we have all given CVW a lot of good ideas and food for thought the rest is up to them. I'm out'a this thread and ya'll have a great week end.
OldBird

Cjwinnit said:

Well, having positive pressure can be better as air blows out of the drives rather than in. Less dust in the CD/DVD -ROM drives is a good thing.

You are probably right there, but I not sure that many drives anymore have holes and such in them, my asus is air tight (but it it is also advertised on the box as a dust free design, so it might not be on everything), I belive it has rubber gaskets where it is put together, even between the door, but anyway you are probably right.

Air tight case?

I thought about it and fail to comprehend the term "air tight case". I understand what you're saying about the gaskets, but I perceive that as a mere gimmick better served to keep the case from rattling. If air tight were true there would be no intake vent that naturally draws in dust & dirt. I'd venture to say the amount of dust that comes in through the cracks in my DynaPower case is miniscule and negligible compared to what comes in though the intake vent.

Dust and dirt is like the tax man and death; worry about them all you want but they'll still be there. Geeks like us open up our box every two or three months and clean it anyway.
Happy, clean, rockin' lil' computer. :) I read where keeping your box a coupld feet off the floor is much better than on the floor where the dust is, kicked up by just walking around.
OldBird

Inside case temps.

I ran the temp test using an encased mercury pool thermometer,
placed it in the top of the case halfway between the DVD drive and the PS. With one 30CFM exaust fan right under the PS and one 30CFM intake front bottom I saw 87F.

I left the thermometer in place two hours for each test, ambient 78F with no ceiling fans or other ventilation, save the ceiling AC duct on the ther side of the room. Computer is about six inches off the floor one foot from the wall.

Second test I disconnected only the front intake fan and closed the case for two hours and saw 90F. The CPU temp remained the same 100F/38C for both tests at idle. Athalon 2100 OC'd 2166MHz with the Soltek SL-75MRN-L using this cooler
http://www.nexfan.com/evcucoacofrs1.html with Arctic Silver II.

So there you have it, we have facts to deal with, not supposition.
Ambient was 78, so at 90 it was only twelve degrees warmer inside the case and I'd say that's pretty dog gone good, works for me & I'm happy with my rig. :)

Time for a good cold one, ya'll be cool. (Pun intended. . . . . )
Old Bird

Been there, done that noise thing.

Caffinehog said:
Double the noise, increase by 3db....

So a 50db fan is 322 times as noisy as a 25db fan.

WOW! Never knew that but I believe it. Back when I built my first one I decided to go with a high speed 50db fan and let me tell you I darn sure got my moneys worth. Like I said, noise personified. I ordered a couple 20db Panaflows and used the 50db for a paper weight.

Back