• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

unfiltered intakes...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
roYal said:
I have 3 unfiltered intakes. If i get filters for them, will it cause temps to rise?

Not in the long term.

Layers of dust act as an excellent insulator of heat.

True, just remember to clean them out every once in a while. :)

Hehehe. Umm...try to find some that were made to filter air, like the ones you see in full-building air conditioners. I remember larva had one on his computer. Some other people use scouring pads, while others, like scruff suggested, use pantyhose material.

mine (side panel fan 120mm ducted straight to Alpha PAL8045 on an energetic Palomino 1600+)

No filter: 48°C
large pore filter: 49°C
small pore filter: 50°C

I had the same question as you a little while ago, so I ran the above test real quick. All temps are properly thermalized Sandra CPU mulitmedia burn-in for at least 1/2 hour (takes mine a while to thermalize).

The small pore filter clogs up real quick, but saves having to dust the HS ever. Hope this all helps.

N8

PS heard pantyhose, dryersheets, all sorts of stuff work just fine and wont effect temps too bad, as long as you clean them as needed.

Hmm....I'll have to try dryer sheets...nice and anti-staticy... :D

If you go the pantyhose route, make sure you stretch them WAY out. If not the mesh can severely hinder airflow. Air conditioner filters work very well.

BTW, nerdlogic, they also help keep your case springtime fresh.

Back