• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mb won't reconize more than 512mb of ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shiltz

I have an MSI k7d master MB, today I got another 512mb of ram to upgrade to 1gig, but it won't reconize more than 512, each ram stick works seperatly and both slots 1 & 2 work seperatly, but when I have both it it only see's 512, anyone have any idea what the problem may be?

Is it not recognising in the BIOS? Or in your Operating System?

You have both RAM chips of the same type? Registered or unbuffered? And made sure the chips are in all the way?

not reconizing in the bios and OS, both are the same type, kingston 512mb PC2100, not sure on if they are registered or unbuffered though, they were seated all the way, triple checked that.

You figure out the problem yet?

Does your BIOS have a function to disable unused RAM slots? Maybe that could be the trouble? Not seeing and updating the new RAM?

Let me know how it's going and if you got it working.

On dually boards you will need registered after the first slot, sometimes the second slot. Look for your motherboard book it will tell you in there. And odds are you would know if you have registered as it cost more

never got it working, the motherboard manual says registered required, i'm guessing the kington ram I have isn't but not sure as I bought them about a year ago so I don't have the packages they came in anymore.

I thought I read in the manual you can use unregistered memory for that board, just in less amounts and only in slots 1 and 2. Yeah page 23 (2-7) of your manual states...

Note: Registered DIMMs can be placed into DDR1~4 but unbuffered DIMMs can be placed into DDR1~2 only.

Doesn't this mean you can use unregistered DDR in slots 1 & 2? Or am I mistaken?

yeah, I read that too which is why I thought it would be ok, I can use either of the 512's seperatly in slot 1 or 2, but 3 or 4 and it won't boot.

only other posibility I can think of is the bios needs to be flashed, it's 1.1 and I belive they are up to 1.8 or something like that, but first I need to go out and buy a new floppy drive so I can flash it since when my floppy drive died like 2 months ago I never replaced it cause I never use it.

both sticks are the exact same type, had bought the 2 at the same time, the one I actualy bought when I posted wasn't the one I put in the computer, I have 2 computers and each had 1 of the 512 kingston that I bought, I swaped the kingston out of my second computer with the one I bought so that I would have the exact same type in the computer that has 2.

Have you run a check on each RAM stick, like in Sandra, to tell for sure that they are exactly the same memory type?

This is bugging me... hehehee

well won't know for sure now, was playing around with it some more last night, killed one of the sticks, not sure what happened but all of a sudden when I put it in the computer wouldn't boot at all anymore, tried the 2nd computer and same thing :(

Back